M src/modes/shop/shop_buy.cpp
M src/modes/shop/shop.cpp
M src/modes/shop/shop_utils.cpp
M src/modes/shop/shop_buy.h
M src/defs.h

Primary Changes
  • Several minor updates to the shop buy interface
Miscellaneous Notes
  • The selection option boxes are acting really weird and buggy. At least some of the problem is definitely rooted in the option box code, unfortunately.
rujasu
Developer

Re: Subversion Commit Log

Post by rujasu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:31 pm

Committed revision #1553.
============================================================
Files Added
A dat/maps/desert_village.lua
A dat/tilesets/harrvah_house.lua
A img/tilesets/harrvah_house.png

Primary Changes
- Added new map and tileset. Did not activate them to be the default map in the game, but I have tested them and they do work... mostly.

Notes
- The new map is incomplete, it just has some buildings, and the entrances to those buildings are bugged.
- I believe I neglected to post a log for one of my more recent commits, which added the character Kyle to the game. He doesn't have any artwork to speak of, but there are some individual skills for him, and he's included in the default party for the moment. I also added code for Rafaela -- almost all of the necessary artwork is set up for her aside from battle animation. She's only available in the debug modes, but I decided to throw the code in there while I was working on Kyle's.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Committed revision #1560.
Files Modified
M src/global/defs_global.cpp
M src/modes/defs_modes.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M dat/maps/desert_village.lua
M dat/maps/demo_town.lua
M dat/maps/desert_outskirts.lua
M dat/global.lua
M dat/actors/map_sprites_stock.lua

Primary Changes
- Desert town (name TBA) map is now the default map, and has a south exit toward the outskirts map.
- Some dialogue for Kyle and the Knight Captain added -- you can walk east to find Kyle, who will join your party. Kyle and the Captain do not have unique sprites currently.

Known Bugs
- If you talk to the Captain, Kyle leaves your party, but this is buggy. I'm sure there's something I neglected to do there; I just put in a "remove character KYLE" command but it causes a segfault when you call the menu. Also, game crashes if you talk to the Captain without Kyle, but this will be fixed when we actually have properly fleshed out scripts for these sequences. The dialogue is based on Brian's script from an earlier post; we may end up modifying it quite a bit.
- I'm having serious problems with Lua scripting. Certain functions just don't work at all, and I have no idea why. They're defined in the "defs" files, but I keep getting LuaBind errors. I've commented those function calls out, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong so that we can start writing meaningful scripts.
- The editor suddenly isn't working for me at all. It has never worked on my laptop, but was relatively good on my more powerful desktop. I'm going to look into this; more info later.

Notes
- I expect to post a few more updates later tonight, so check back then.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Nice work rujasu.

I noticed a few things. The context zones are not aligned right, and it is easy to get stuck in doorways. For one of the buildings, the context zone is too far away from the door, and it feels weird, and sudden.

If you leave the town and re-enter enough times, the game will freeze. I doubt this is anything you did.

Lots of empty space in both the town and outskirts. I wanted to see what the whole town looked like, so I loaded the map with the allacrost editor, but it just froze. It loads the old mountain town just fine, but will not load either of your maps. I'm looking into it.

Then I'll fix the context zones. Not sure if you knew about it, but I added a feature a while ago, View->Collision Coordinates. It makes it so the tile's x:y are specified in collision coordinates, which the context zones use. It's easier than the old method of doing the math in your head for each coordinate.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Winter Knight wrote:Nice work rujasu.

I noticed a few things. The context zones are not aligned right, and it is easy to get stuck in doorways. For one of the buildings, the context zone is too far away from the door, and it feels weird, and sudden.
Yeah, I know about the context zones -- was having some trouble getting them right.
If you leave the town and re-enter enough times, the game will freeze. I doubt this is anything you did.
Yeah, that's odd. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
Lots of empty space in both the town and outskirts. I wanted to see what the whole town looked like, so I loaded the map with the allacrost editor, but it just froze. It loads the old mountain town just fine, but will not load either of your maps. I'm looking into it.
Roots did the outskirts, and I did the town -- the outskirts should have plenty of open space, but the town is largely unfinished. The NE quadrant will be the training area, the SE will have an oasis for a specific scene, and the NW will probably lead to the cave.
Then I'll fix the context zones. Not sure if you knew about it, but I added a feature a while ago, View->Collision Coordinates. It makes it so the tile's x:y are specified in collision coordinates, which the context zones use. It's easier than the old method of doing the math in your head for each coordinate.
Sounds awesome! :approve:
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Committed revision #1561.
Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Moved village entry point.
- Cosmetic changes to map, so that it has a more unified look with the outskirts map.

Notes
- The problem I was having with the editor was on my end. It's fixed.
- I can't reproduce WK's bugs in editor or game mode. I tried going in and out of town a bunch of times, worked fine for me.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm still working on the outskirts. I didn't know how big the map should be when I started it so I just picked really big dimensions and figured I would resize the map once I had everything in place. I wanted to move the cliff sections of the map to be a few tiles lower but I couldn't get the editor to play nice with me and move large sections at a time. I may just have to do some work by hand.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Committed revision #1562.
Files Modified
M dat/actors/map_sprites_stock.lua

Primary Changes
- Added some Karlate NPC's to the map, along with a large building in the NE corner that can serve as the Karlate barracks. You can't go in the building currently, but the captain, two guards, and an armorer are standing outside. They all look the same as Kyle, they don't say much, and I haven't given them individual names at this point.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51 am

Committed revision #1563 & #1564.
Files Modified
M dat/maps/new_cave.lua

Primary Changes
- Added the new cave, which now looks completely different from the map that I proposed earlier, but I think it's an improvement. The corner in the NE is still the "end," though I think I'm going to add an exit point there to go to a smaller add-on map which will be used solely for the climactic showdown. Like the desert village, it's still in need of some embelishments, but I've tried to make it look at least decent.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Committed revision #1567.
Files Modified
M dat/maps/new_cave.lua

Primary Changes
- Minor commit adding a new EnemyZone to the cave.
MindFlayer
Developer

Post by MindFlayer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Committed revision #1568.
Files Modified
  • /trunk/demo/HoA.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
Primary Changes
  • Updated the xcode project file to compile again with the latest files.
Miscellaneous Notes
  • Boo! scared you? :D
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Committed revision #1570.
Files Modified
M dat/maps/new_cave.lua

Primary Changes
- Mostly just me toying with the maps some more. There are now two chests in the cave, some rocks, and another chasm. Riveting, I know. :heh:
- I think 1569 was my commit as well, and was even less exciting, basically just me trying to dress up the cave walls and make them look more "organic" or whatever. I'm basically emulating the style from the previous cave dungeon. It's entirely possible that some of what I'm doing won't quite work right, but it shouldn't be anything too difficult to patch up.

Miscellaneous Notes
- I did make progress in the scripting department -- I think I was calling some functions incorrectly. If I run into further problems I'll make note of them.
- I haven't put any water in the cave, and my feeling is that there shouldn't be running water all over the place, seeing as the cave is in the middle of a desert. Just making a note of that in case anyone cares.
MindFlayer
Developer

Post by MindFlayer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:21 am

Committed revision #1572.
Files Modified
  • /global/global.cpp
Primary Changes
  • - If you talk to the Captain, Kyle leaves your party, but this is buggy. I'm sure there's something I neglected to do there; I just put in a "remove character KYLE" command but it causes a segfault when you call the menu. Also, game crashes if you talk to the Captain without Kyle, but this will be fixed when we actually have properly fleshed out scripts for these sequences.
    ^ Fixed that one for you. It was just a small "indexing out of bounds" kind of error.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 am

MindFlayer wrote:
rujasu wrote: - If you talk to the Captain, Kyle leaves your party, but this is buggy. I'm sure there's something I neglected to do there; I just put in a "remove character KYLE" command but it causes a segfault when you call the menu. Also, game crashes if you talk to the Captain without Kyle, but this will be fixed when we actually have properly fleshed out scripts for these sequences.
^ Fixed that one for you. It was just a small "indexing out of bounds" kind of error.
I'm pretty sure I fixed that bug. The problem was that _active_party and _characters were getting out of sync. GameGlobal::RemoveCharacter(id) removed the character from _characters, but not _active_party. The crash would occur when the menu would attempt to reference Kyle, who no longer existed.

I just double checked, and my last compile, at revision 1566 is not affected by these bugs.
MindFlayer
Developer

Post by MindFlayer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 am

The problem was possible indexing outside the _character_order, see:

Code: Select all

for (uint32 j = 0; j < 4 || j >= _character_order.size(); j++) {
which I fixed to:

Code: Select all

for (uint32 j = 0; j < 4 && j < _character_order.size(); j++) {
Also, there is no need to go further in the main for loop that checks for the character with the given ID because:
1) everything necessary was done; the character was removed and _active_party re-created.
2) _character_order iterator i gets invalid after erase(). it should be i = _character_order.erase(i);

Trust me, there was a bug even though it may have worked for you just because of lucky memory addressing. :)
Winter Knight wrote: I'm pretty sure I fixed that bug. The problem was that _active_party and _characters were getting out of sync. GameGlobal::RemoveCharacter(id) removed the character from _characters, but not _active_party. The crash would occur when the menu would attempt to reference Kyle, who no longer existed.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Committed revision #1573-1575.

r1573 /trunk/demo/dat/maps/ (desert_village.lua new_cave.lua): More minor changes to map scripting.
r1574 /trunk/demo/dat/maps/desert_village.lua: Minor touchups to town map.
r1575 /trunk/demo/ (4 files in 3 dirs): Save/load screen now shows background window and plays music. Some tiling work on town map.

Mostly just continued work on the new maps. Nothing all that noteworthy to mention except that I added the savegame music that Rain made up for us a while back. Now, if you go to the save screen you get to hear music instead of silence. Adds a little polish. :cool:
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Committed revision #1576, 1577, 1578.
Files Modified
M src/modes/boot/boot.cpp
M src/modes/menu/menu.cpp
M mus/Allacrost_Opening_Theme.ogg

Primary Changes
- Enabled background window for options menu.
- Fixed MenuMode so that the options list at the top doesn't scroll any more.
- Added the new version of the intro music that Rain put up a while ago. I'm about 99% sure this is the newest version we have. It sounds pretty epic.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 am

Committed revision #1579-1582.
Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Cropped the desert town map to reduce the amount of open space. It's now 112x100 and the barracks are flush against the top-right corner of the map instead of being so far down. Basically just removed some extraneous tiles from the borders, but it helps make the map feel a bit more compact while still being big enough for what we want to do with it.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Committed revision #1583, 1584.
Files Modified
M dat/maps/desert_outskirts.lua

Primary Changes
- When you start a new game, Claudius and Kyle immediately begin conversing and Kyle joins the party, no need to go over and talk to him.
- If you go outside to the desert outskirts, Kyle can be found there as well. If you talk to him, there is some dialogue and a boss monster is spawned. We should probably do this on the edge of a cliff somewhere to ensure that the party cannot escape the monster. Maybe put the event near the eastern edge of the map, so that the monster does not seem to appear from nowhere. Also, we'll have to consider what art we're using for this enemy and work on balancing it.

Known Bugs
- If you try to run away when talking to Kyle, the dialogue just cuts out. I'll see if I can figure out more details.
- It seems like Kyle can re-appear in the town sometimes, even if you've already had him join previously. Again, I'll see if I can reproduce it and offer more details.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm

rujasu wrote:- If you try to run away when talking to Kyle, the dialogue just cuts out. I'll see if I can figure out more details.
To clarify, this is because you can press the cancel button during dialogue to exit the dialogue immediately. Is there a way to disable this?