Additional NPCs

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Jetryl
Artist

Additional NPCs

Postby Jetryl » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:14 am

Safir-Kreuz made several great NPCs for a much earlier screenshot release; however, these were never animated into something useable by the game. Since it would be a crying shame for those to go to waste, it's time to animate them.

I'll post any WIPs I have of them in this thread - these are in the same format as the demo images posted on the website; and I'm using the claudius/laila imagery as a template to guide placement/form of the new NPCs. Anyone else looking to chip in on this project should do the same.

[img:196:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/girl_npc02_walk.png[/img]
Last edited by Jetryl on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ranger M

Re: Additional NPCs

Postby Ranger M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 am

And on that note I present the soldier (my origional is on the left, and the first frame is Jetryl's edited version of that, as you can see Jetryl is so much better at spriting than I am :cry: ):

(edited as more was done)

[img:400:256]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/4/42/Sprite_map_soldier.png[/img]

walking animations:

[img:40:65]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/a/af/Soldier-walking-forward.gif[/img]

[img:40:65]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/6/61/Soldier-walking-backward.gif[/img]

[img:40:65]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/6/67/Soldier-walking-left.gif[/img]
Last edited by Ranger M on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:17 pm

For those who are wondering, this soldier is intended to be one of claudius' contemporaries; one of the other Harrvahn knights sent with him to fix the water supply. Hence the deliberately similar, but more drab costuming.
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:29 pm

Hence the deliberately similar, but more drab costuming.

Still, we want the player to be able to distinguish between Claudius and the other soldiers easily. Maybe give them a helmet or new hair?
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:51 pm

ChopperDave wrote:Still, we want the player to be able to distinguish between Claudius and the other soldiers easily. Maybe give them a helmet or new hair?

The hair is already a different colour, and if you can mix up the bodies then you have problems more serious than recognising the hero in a video game.

Besides, plain helmets are for boring people, and fancy ones are for pompous people, adventourous people wear no helmet.
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:58 pm

The hair is already a different colour

Really? I honestly can't tell. The hair doesn't take up enough pixels IMO to really work by itself.
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:35 pm

ChopperDave wrote:
The hair is already a different colour

Really? I honestly can't tell. The hair doesn't take up enough pixels IMO to really work by itself.

you do realise that we are talking abou the guys next to Claudius, not Claudius himself (they are next to him for comparison so that I can animate them easily) My Guy has no blue on him at all and has paler hair.
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Also, progress on the upward animation (see above)

took longer than I thought that I would but I'm pretty sure I know how to finish it, which I'll do tomorrow.
Last edited by Ranger M on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:45 pm

My Guy has no blue on him at all and has paler hair.

Now I see it. Ok. It's just that I was expecting a more dramatic difference between the two. Kind of like the difference between Cecil and his knights in FF 4. They wear red while he wears dark blue, and he has a sharp (dare I say aerodynamic?) helmet, while they wear salad bowls.

I'm not saying we need helmets and armor. But that's the kind of stuff that I look for when distinguishing between two sprites.
eleazar

Postby eleazar » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:20 am

Some sort of helmet would be a great way to indicate "generic soldier."
It makes no practical sense, but it's a well entrenched convention that the hero doesn't wear a helmet much even if the rest of his fellow soldiers/knights/whatever do.

Also you can put a group of helmeted soldiers together and the player doesn't wonder why they all look like the same person.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 am

^^^That makes sense.

Impersonable soldiers make good soldiers. Not just in games, but real life as well. We should probably try to make a 'generic soldier' in the vein of 'Vicks and Wedge' prototypes.

The less attention/detail payed to these soldiers, the better. The characters that should matter in the grand scheme of things should of course stand out. Having regular boring sprites will allow the main character sprites to be more identifiable in the end, so I don't believe we should try to make every soldier stand out. Though that doesn't mean to say that the soldiers can't be striking in their uniformity and features.

Additionally,
I am sure there will be high ranking officials in the miliatary which will merit their own sprites and portraits but I don't think that thats any worry at the moment.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:08 am

Solutions:
• I'll try and change the hair, more. Ranger M can carry on as he has; I'll get uploaded work files here.

• Alternatively, if the above doesn't pan out, we could just save this head, and use it on someone else; it's a good, unique hairdo, and ranger M has given it good motion.

I was planning on having several variations of soldiers, anyways - at least three or four. Half or more of them will be helmeted. There are going to be both a good deal of soldiers accompanying claudius at the start, and also a good deal of town guards. They should all look similar, but slightly different.
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 am

Jetryl wrote:I was planning on having several variations of soldiers, anyways - at least three or four. Half or more of them will be helmeted. There are going to be both a good deal of soldiers accompanying claudius at the start, and also a good deal of town guards. They should all look similar, but slightly different.

This I like, I always hated how all the guards or soldiers in any game I play look identicle, when with a little bit of extra work, just by changing the head, they could have some variation and make it more interesting.

as for guards needing helmets so they look impersonal (or something like that), I agree that town guards should, but adventourous types like the ones who go with Claudius should be a little different, more interesting.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Ranger M wrote:as for guards needing helmets so they look impersonal (or something like that), I agree that town guards should, but adventourous types like the ones who go with Claudius should be a little different, more interesting.
Definitely. :)
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:03 pm

Finished the upward walking animation except the hair bouncing (I'll do it later)

[img:40:65]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/6/61/Soldier-walking-backward.gif[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 am

Beginning to build a sprite-sheet of the soldier. Have made some edits to the feet and hands, which rangerM should consult for any work on other sprites, haven't done any edits to the hair, yet.

[img:192:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/solider_npc01_walk.png[/img]
Last edited by Jetryl on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:38 pm

I've done most of the sideways animations, just need to animate the shoulders and hair, but before I do the hair Jetryl should probably take a look at it and clean it up a bit, it's my best try at hair done from scratch so far, but it still isn't that good.

[img:192:256]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/4/42/Sprite_map_soldier.png[/img]

[img:40:65]http://www.galaxymage.org/images/6/67/Soldier-walking-left.gif[/img]
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 pm

BTW jetryl, I just read your post again and I'm not entirely shure weather you want me to carry over the edits to the rest of the animation sheet, or to pay attention to how it works for next time that I create/animate a sprite, or both.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 am

Ranger M wrote:BTW jetryl, I just read your post again and I'm not entirely shure weather you want me to carry over the edits to the rest of the animation sheet, or to pay attention to how it works for next time that I create/animate a sprite, or both.

Pay attention to how it works for next time that you create/animate a sprite.

I'll do the edits, and post them here.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:20 am

I may/may not finish the other frames tonight; here is a west-walking animation for the guy; cleaned up from rangerM's frames.

Probably my biggest suggestion is to use S-K's (aka the existing animations for Claudius/Laila's) exact positioning for limbs. He already did the trial-and-error of what does/does not work; the only deviations should be for major differences in character girth (e.g, a very fat man would walk very differently). You're going to inevitably introduce some deviation by accident, but at least attempting to match things exactly will (probably) save you from making anything that "breaks" the animation.

Literally, go so far as to overlay your frames on the existing ones and match things up that way (put the "for reference" ones in a layer below the new ones, a layer that you hide when you're done). It's exactly what I'm doing.

The errors in this one were that the legs didn't quite "stride" correctly, and the figure was leaning too far back - if anything, human figures lean forward when walking (since only the bottom part of our body accelerates; if we didn't do this we'd fall over backwards).

[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/demosAndSingleFrames/solider_npc01_walkW.gif[/img]

----

Likewise, here are fixes to the north animation.

The errors in this one were few; the unit needs to bob a full three pixels, rather than two (it's much smoother that way), the legs also need to be further inwards when walking; human legs don't spread out when we walk; in fact they converge.

[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/demosAndSingleFrames/solider_npc01_walkN.gif[/img]
Last edited by Jetryl on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Artwork”