For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Rain
Musician

z§*-

Postby Rain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:34 am

[quote="Jetryl"][quote="Safir-Kreuz"][quote="Jetryl"]Etc:

Nice!
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:55 am

[img:128:512]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_move.gif[/img][img:150:200]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_fullbody_ingame.png[/img][img:200:200]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_ingame.png[/img]
[img:192:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_run.png[/img]
[img:192:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_walk.png[/img]
Last edited by Safir-Kreuz on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:45 am

Awesome :approve: :bow:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:04 am

gorzuate wrote:Awesome :approve: :bow:

Holy shit. :bow:

Safir, if you already have the frames in an animation sheet, go ahead and upload them; otherwise I can make the sheets myself from this animation that you posted, and save you the time. This looks good to go.

:eyespin: wow.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 am

Jetryl wrote:
gorzuate wrote:Awesome :approve: :bow:

Holy shit. :bow:

Safir, if you already have the frames in an animation sheet, go ahead and upload them; otherwise I can make the sheets myself from this animation that you posted, and save you the time. This looks good to go.

:eyespin: wow.

I am glad that you like it, I updated and placed the map spritesheets. I probably have the order wrong again though XD.
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:09 am

* MindFlayer's got a new favourite Allacrost female character. :devil:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 am

Absolutely splendid! I love the way each character has their own identifiable 'color scheme'. This new character looks quite fiery and badass!
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Rain wrote:Absolutely splendid! I love the way each character has their own identifiable 'color scheme'. This new character looks quite fiery and badass!

Thanks, when I first read her description, I thought this character would be essentially our bad girl, kind of a femme fatale.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:37 pm

That sprite is awesome, good work :approve:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:05 am

Okay, everything for Rafaela has been committed, but we still need a battle-damage-portrait.

Make one of these for rafaela:
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... ingame.png
-->
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... damage.png

-->
(not done yet)

:approve:
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:25 pm

Jetryl wrote:Okay, everything for Rafaela has been committed, but we still need a battle-damage-portrait.

Make one of these for rafaela:
-->
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... damage.png

-->
(not done yet)

:approve:

[img:200:200]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_damage.gif[/img]
[img:500:100]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/rafaea/rafaea_damage.png[/img]
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:41 pm

That looks awesome! I really like how fluid it is.

I also really like her eyes. Like cats eyes!

(of Zeon)

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 am

Rain wrote:That looks awesome! I really like how fluid it is.

I also really like her eyes. Like cats eyes!

Thanks, it still needs some touch work, but I think it's ready to go for now
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:52 pm

:approve: And, I've committed the damage portrait. Solid work as usual.

BTW, "committing" means I've copied it into the game resources. Unfortunately, what we haven't done yet is written up any game data for the character, so the images are currently just sitting there; but having them there is the first step, so ... onward and upward. We'll get to it fairly soon.

Brett, take a well deserved break/drink/whatever ... :heh:
I'll send you a PM with other stuff you could work on.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Jetryl wrote::approve: And, I've committed the damage portrait. Solid work as usual.

BTW, "committing" means I've copied it into the game resources. Unfortunately, what we haven't done yet is written up any game data for the character, so the images are currently just sitting there; but having them there is the first step, so ... onward and upward. We'll get to it fairly soon.

Brett, take a well deserved break/drink/whatever ... :heh:
I'll send you a PM with other stuff you could work on.

Alrighty
Jetryl
Artist

Re: Game Sprites:

Postby Jetryl » Wed May 07, 2008 8:01 am

:huh: Laughing animation for claudius:

Safir - Any crits + edits are very welcome. If you see something you don't like about this, please do fix it.

After much thought, I'm pretty sure we only need these for the south direction - they wouldn't be visible/recognizable for others, and the device of having the actor turn to the audience, and make an expression, works well for stuff like this. In fact, this is probably true of most other emotion animations; the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is shock/fear directed at a specific cause.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu May 08, 2008 1:21 am

Jetryl wrote::huh: Laughing animation for claudius:

Safir - Any crits + edits are very welcome. If you see something you don't like about this, please do fix it.

After much thought, I'm pretty sure we only need these for the south direction - they wouldn't be visible/recognizable for others, and the device of having the actor turn to the audience, and make an expression, works well for stuff like this. In fact, this is probably true of most other emotion animations; the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is shock/fear directed at a specific cause.

I need to seriously get back into the sprites... So many things I have learned and so many things I need to correct in my claudius spriteset, like there is 45 colors in it... which make new animations horribly difficult and cumbersome. Oddly enough, and sadly I am actually having problems going back and working on sprites. I just spend like 3 hours trying to do hue/color key techniques to get claudius to a reasonable number of colors... (No avail though)

lol... I am glad that I have learn a few things since me being hired like way back when.

Anyway, I think it looks great, I think it's a tad jerky with the legs, but it's only two frames, which makes it's reasonable.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 08, 2008 2:23 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Anyway, I think it looks great, I think it's a tad jerky with the legs, but it's only two frames, which makes it's reasonable.

Does this fix it?
(refresh the page if you're not seeing any changes; I replaced the same image I linked above)

Also, an animation for claudius "looking back and forth"; the idea for this is heavily ripped from Chrono trigger. One of the things that made their "character interaction" scenes feel so much more organic was that as certain characters were running around doing things, other characters (often chrono) would stand still and watch them - and their head would follow them without their entire body turning. The entire body turning is more of a first-order approach to the problem, and doesn't require extra frames; but like most first-order shots at things, it has a few issues - those simply being that it looks weird for the whole body to turn. Robots, anyone? :heh: The second order is this - it does require new frames, but it's worth the tradeoff - they're easy as shit to make, and the scenes look much more natural with them.

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 08, 2008 4:38 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:I need to seriously get back into the sprites... So many things I have learned and so many things I need to correct in my claudius spriteset, like there is 45 colors in it... which make new animations horribly difficult and cumbersome. Oddly enough, and sadly I am actually having problems going back and working on sprites. I just spend like 3 hours trying to do hue/color key techniques to get claudius to a reasonable number of colors... (No avail though)

:huh: I thought about this and wondered if I could do anything to help; photoshop's got some pretty nice tools in its gif optimizer (the "save for web.." tool) for reducing the number of colors in an image whilst also keeping it 'perceptually' as similar to the original as possible. That, and a little hand-tweaking later, and I've reduced this from 45 colors to 22.

Old one on the right (45 colors), new one on the left (22 colors):

Image Image

The hair highlights are a little brighter (which was a delicate area, since those colors are now shared with the fleshtones), but ... otherwise I think this doesn't 'lose' anything that the old one had. If this works for you, I can convert all the other claudius animations to match it, really quickly.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu May 08, 2008 5:36 am

Jetryl wrote:
Safir-Kreuz wrote:I need to seriously get back into the sprites... So many things I have learned and so many things I need to correct in my claudius spriteset, like there is 45 colors in it... which make new animations horribly difficult and cumbersome. Oddly enough, and sadly I am actually having problems going back and working on sprites. I just spend like 3 hours trying to do hue/color key techniques to get claudius to a reasonable number of colors... (No avail though)

:huh: I thought about this and wondered if I could do anything to help; photoshop's got some pretty nice tools in its gif optimizer (the "save for web.." tool) for reducing the number of colors in an image whilst also keeping it 'perceptually' as similar to the original as possible. That, and a little hand-tweaking later, and I've reduced this from 45 colors to 22.

Old one on the right (45 colors), new one on the left (22 colors):

Image Image

The hair highlights are a little brighter (which was a delicate area, since those colors are now shared with the fleshtones), but ... otherwise I think this doesn't 'lose' anything that the old one had. If this works for you, I can convert all the other claudius animations to match it, really quickly.

ImageImage

Here was my attempt before, I used color layers, and indexing the colors to get my result. The boots kinda got well, detail loss, but everything else came out pretty good, and I can edit palettes easier. It was the same techniques I was using for my mugen sprites.

I like both versions a lot, I think I only have about 18 colors. Granted it's really 256 still, but I am talking more about applied colors . It's not really about about file size, it's just more functional and easier to animate when you don't have 50some colors to keep consistent lol.

Return to “Artwork”