Battle Sprites

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8664
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 pm

Cool design, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the cartoon shading though. While it definitely would work well for some games, I don't think it would for Allacrost. That serpant looks very un-threatening because he has so many bright and bubbly colors. I dunno, I can't think of what I want to say exactly right now, but I just don't think that style fits with the type of game we've been creating  (re-read the prologue and I think you'll agree).


If you can draft up monsters really quick in flash, then do the shading and other details by hand, do you think that would be feasible? I know the cartoon style is probably a lot easier/quicker to do, and I want us to be able to produce art as quickly and efficiently as possible, but I don't want to sacrifice quality/style in doing so, you know? :shrug:
Image
User avatar
gorzuate
Developer
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Contact:

Postby gorzuate » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:54 pm

That is one wicked snake Sylon! :approve:

I think you're both right about the cartoon shading not going well with Allacrost. However, I disagree with the following statement:
Roots wrote:That serpant looks very un-threatening because he has so many bright and bubbly colors.


Look at that tail end thingy! And the evil eyes. Oooo scary... And the fangs, and tongue... I think it looks very threatening.
Image
User avatar
visage
Former Staff
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby visage » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Looks like it would go far better with Adventure Quest!  Which is not a bad thing, but I can't really see a 2d overhead pixelated RPG going into flash battle mode.  It looks pretty sweet on its own...but I just don't see it fitting all that well.

Oh well.  Perhaps flesh it out with flash, and overlay with pixels?  I dunno.  Whatever speeds up the art pipeline.
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:10 am

Roots:

I never intended to keep the cartoon shading style, only if you and the rest of the team did.  My initial idea was to, as Visage said, and as you asked, flesh it out in Flash and then pixel it back to my original style later.

About the colors, Roots, you don't have to worry if they are too bright.  That's just a flip of a switch to correct!  I'll desaturate them for you.

Rather you should worry about the shape/look of the monster itself.  Will this monster fit in the game given proper coloring/shading?  I believe YES!  :approve:   What about you?

*PLUS* get a load of this people!  I am gonna do each individual SCALE on the red portion of its body!  How awesome will THAT look!?  I'll probably color them in a pattern too.

Thanks Gorz and Visage!  Visage that is one cool-looking game.  I bet it's crap though.  It doesn't show world maps or lands or anything.  Looks like a Street Fighter battle system.

Say guys I was saying to Roots yesterday that this system helped cut out hours of work for me.  I virtually made this snake in about one hour and a half, and by my previous system I estimate a sprite that big would have taken...maybe about 5-6 hours just to get that shape and flat coloring down.  I'm telling ya, this Jetryl hybrid system really helped.  I will pump out more sprites for you guys, quicker!  'Cept for the color pixelling part, but, that's okay, the other pixelation just to make the base figure and outlines was eliminated.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:55 am

:eyespin: Sorry about taking things a little too seriously.  I've just seen too many people who really are trying to get better spin their tires.  In fact, it was happening to me, early on.
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:10 am

Roots wrote:That serpant looks very un-threatening because he has so many bright and bubbly colors.

To bounce off of gorzuate's reply; it's about as threatening as Count von Count.
Image

:D That said, recoloring it, and doing the slight reshapings to features necessary to make it scary and not silly, should be very easy for Sylon to do with this workflow.
User avatar
roos
Developer
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:06 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Contact:

Postby roos » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:35 am

Oh you may stray, but you'll always return to your dark master.
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:48 pm

I don't get it...so Jetryl, you think even after I recolor it that I will have to reSHAPE it too?

I don't get it.  Why does every monster I make have to have something sharp and jagged on it to be "scary"?  Not all dangerous objects or creatures ever invented for fantasy worlds are covered in spikes or have 5 million teeth or iron skin!

I think having a round monster like this one is a change for once!  Just the fact that it is big and looks like it hates people should be enough eh?  Every monster in the game is gonna have to be sharp and rough and covered by blood or rust or decaying flesh or skulls or...or sharp weapons??!  :huh: Come on...
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
visage
Former Staff
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby visage » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 pm

I say we put a little faith in Sylon.  Has he let us down yet?  I mean, besides that one time when he was supposed to be my wingman in that bar while I was hitting on that Swedish chick and he started puking so I had to take him home.  Besides that one time, has he let us down?

NAY I SAY!  Let the man work.
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:44 pm

Haha...!  SEE?  US BATTLE PEOPLE KNOW WHAT'S UP!!!  We know what it's ABOUT man!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 am

Sylon wrote:I don't get it...so Jetryl, you think even after I recolor it that I will have to reSHAPE it too?

I don't get it.  Why does every monster I make have to have something sharp and jagged on it to be "scary"?  Not all dangerous objects or creatures ever invented for fantasy worlds are covered in spikes or have 5 million teeth or iron skin!


_LIGHT_ reshaping.  Not major reshaping.

Few dangerous objects have that barney-like grin, either - really, it's just the look on the snake's face.  We trust you, no worries.

(fingers crossed) :uhoh:
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:47 am

I understand the points on boths sides really. Because honestly not everything should be jagged vorpal spikes of doom. Instead they're should be variety. Yet's it's also to be consistent, cell shading for the most part doesn't mix well with the priors styles. Though, it certainly can be a base to make life easiers on the creation of the battle sprites. :)

The one things I amazed that I haven't seen though, is that someone would hand drawn the sprites, colorize, and then min them down to the proper resolutions, and do clean ups.
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:49 am

Yes Safir my technique is very strange.

EDIT.

I plan on giving him a suit of armor. It's tough making reflectivity on metal in 2d!!! GEEZ. I might switch to making it look tarnished--it's easier that way.

Anyway the helmet and stance is what is good so far I guess. I updated the shadow.

Image
Last edited by Sylon on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
wayfarer
Contributor
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Postby wayfarer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Nice the pose is perhaps a litlle top-heavy.Have you done the frame on the PC or have you sketched it with a pencil and scanned it?
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:46 pm

The metal on the sword/knife look better when posed against a darker BG. Also his left arm (holding knife) will look better against a dark BG as well.

Wayfarer what do you mean the pose is top-heavy? Like he's leaning too far?

Also to answer your question I drew him first on graph paper and then plotted the pixels onto Paint.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:12 am

Sylon wrote:Wayfarer what do you mean the pose is top-heavy? Like he's leaning too far?


Yeah - other than that, it's great.
alenacat
Artist
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:11 pm
Contact:

Postby alenacat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:26 pm

That top-heavyness makes it seem a bit puppet-like. Maybe skeletons do move like puppets. Great foreshortening on the other sword
User avatar
wayfarer
Contributor
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Postby wayfarer » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Yeah.

He pose looks like he is charging to cut some throats. Perhaps a little laxer else it is really good,


BTW thanks for the Info.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:42 am

Well wayfarer if you put it that way, yes I was aiming for the effect of "he is lunging". If all monsters were drawn in a relaxed position it might become dull pretty fast. Lots of monsters in early 2d FFs are in lunging or "unrelaxed" positions. Actually before this skeleton was my other skeleton with the axe and he did the same thing, he lunged.

I could see one problem with it, and that is, that his ribcage is facing more towards the viewer than diagonally to the left as his face, and spinal cord are. The ribcage would be tough to change though (one reason I kept it the same from the last skeleton).

Alena, thanks um, but actually that other sword is just a knife kind of thing. I wanted to lose the "2 swords" idea because 2nd level skeleton soldiers in Wesnoth have 2 swords! LOL. The revenants I think they're called.

Anyway to solve the ribcage problem I can re-angle the suit of armor because I was going to give him armor anyway. But the lunging thing? I will see if I can change that as well while I do the armor--but I wouldn't want to try changing the leg positions. That would be more annoying extra work.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:29 am

Sylon wrote:Alena, thanks um, but actually that other sword is just a knife kind of thing. I wanted to lose the "2 swords" idea because 2nd level skeleton soldiers in Wesnoth have 2 swords! LOL. The revenants I think they're called.


Eh. That's not exactly right. It's actually a one-sided axe in both versions.
This is the revenant:
Image

And this is the "Deathblade," a "more frail but harder hitting" version of the same thing.
Image

That said, I don't see why you would want to lose that for that reason. Being similar is GOOD for us, especially if it's not outright copies of stuff (literally the same image files, which this is definitely not). Hell, it'd be awesome if characters from one of these games could make a cameo appearance in the other - not sure how we'd work that out, but it'd be really cool. It's like how the monsters in Kirby sometimes look remarkably like the ones in Super Mario World; et cetera. Makes us all one big family.


That said, this sprite is fine, move on and make other things. Especially prologue-related things. Like for example, polish up that havarrah knight/soldier that roots posted.

Return to “Artwork”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests