Battle Sprites

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up. Deathblade, and two axes!

Well I'm not used to copying other art really, when there is room for differences. I like worlds that are different from each other, to contain objects and art that are different from each other--but if Roots agrees with you then sure! Allacrost was created by him. Since it is two axes and not two scimitars, I could make two swords for ours here but I kind of like th knife thing now.

And I'm not done with this skeleton he needs armor! Ahhhh quit rushing me! :eyespin: You remind me of my art professor at Marist. He teaches drawing. He says "Get in, get the job done, get out"! He isn't a perfectionist. He likes to make things "sufficient" and move on. I am not like that! If I ever moved on to other things it would be a motivational reason and not because I felt finished with anything. LOL!

Though I am kind of tempted to work on Roots' soldier. A bit.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:55 am

Sylon wrote:And I'm not done with this skeleton he needs armor! Ahhhh quit rushing me! :eyespin: You remind me of my art professor at Marist. He teaches drawing. He says "Get in, get the job done, get out"! He isn't a perfectionist. He likes to make things "sufficient" and move on. I am not like that! If I ever moved on to other things it would be a motivational reason and not because I felt finished with anything.

Subtle but huge difference between him and me:

I'm not saying "good enough"
I'm saying "good enough for now."

The best way to work on these would be to get something that's useable, and then come back later and spend the large amount of time that's needed to tweak it to perfection. It's the 80/20 rule for art, although in art, it's more like 55/45; basically, 45 percent of the work is in little tweaks used to finish up an image. These help polish the thing, but it's already ok and useable before you do that. I'm not saying you shouldn't do the polishing, I'm just saying it would be better for the coders to have, a month from now, a whole bunch of semi-finished sprites instead of a few completely finished ones.

Because we need to get this game running, and there is nothing that will motivate you to work on Allacrost quite like playing a working copy of the game for the first time.
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Mon May 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Okay here are the snake damage frames tell me what you think:

Normal:

[img:128:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/snake/snake.png[/img]

1st damage frame:

[img:128:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/snake/snake_d1.png[/img]

2nd:

[img:128:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/snake/snake_d2.png[/img]

3rd:

[img:128:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/snake/snake_d3.png[/img]

I made him lose a tooth too just so you know.

Anyone think the blood is too vivid, as in, too saturated compared to the rest of the colors? Or is it okay?

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Mon May 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Wow, I really like the positioning, The colors are pretty good, The red for the blood may be to much, it just depends really if you wanted it to be obvious that it blood. Of course this is damage animation, so I guess that's not a problem. Great job.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon May 15, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm diggin' it :) Maybe a little more damage on the 3rd frame? :shrug: I think the color of the blood is good!
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Mon May 15, 2006 11:56 pm

gorzuate wrote:I'm diggin' it :) Maybe a little more damage on the 3rd frame? :shrug: I think the color of the blood is good!

Yeah I think so too now that I look at it again. I'll come up with more...scratches and whatnot soon...heheh!!

It's a pity the blend damage system only allows for minor changes eh? Hard to be innovative :huh: .

Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue May 16, 2006 5:40 am

Yeah, I think if you use a darker shade of purple for some of the scalse so that they look like bruises, that would be sweet. :)

Yeah, Sylon has a good point with the damage blending. What would be really nice to have is a simple program that artists can use to show the progression of blending for their four frames, so they can see how far they can stretch the limits of the four-frame blending while still making the transition look realisitc. I think if the snake's position changes slightly (maybe his tail starts slouching down) over time, that would work. But in any case, we should really ask Raj or have someone write a simple program that our artists can use to see that blending in action.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Tue May 16, 2006 7:10 am

Cool Sylon! Glad to see you got something cool cookin! :)
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Tue May 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Rain I love your enthusiasm in the art forums! Heheheheee

Okay guys I modified #2 and #3 (re-check pics above).

gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue May 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Excellent! :)
visage
Former Staff

Post by visage » Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 am

Looking good.

Is there somewhere I can get a split up .png version of the claudius animation?

Thanks.
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 pm

visage wrote:Looking good.

Is there somewhere I can get a split up .png version of the claudius animation?

Thanks.

Oh yes I was just thinking about that yesterday! Thanks for reminding me. I should be able to submit that to the ftp by tonight. Right now I have to go run for an hour and a half.

Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Wed May 17, 2006 9:59 pm

K here are the skeleton damage frames:

[img:64:128]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/skeleton/skeleton.png[/img]

Normal

[img:64:128]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/skeleton/skeleton_d1.png[/img]

[img:64:128]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/skeleton/skeleton_d2.png[/img]

[img:64:128]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/sylon/battlesprites/enemies/skeleton/skeleton_d3.png[/img]

Any thoughts?

alenacat
Artist

Post by alenacat » Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Great !!! keep at it
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu May 18, 2006 4:07 pm

I absolutely love it. :approve: Especially the last one where his skull is all cracked. :bow:

The only improvement that I think needs to be done is with the shadow on the ribcage. I know what you were trying to do with that (show the light shining through his chest a little), but I think the shadow should just be made "lighter" (less transparent) instead of that gray tone. If you look at the current picture of battle mode, you'll see that it kind of sitcks out in the dark cave background

[img:1024:768]http://members.gamedev.net/visage/new_battle_screens.png[/img]
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Fri May 19, 2006 12:42 am

LOL Roots!! Yeah I think that was my mistake. I never meant to have them be gray like that.

I think I made the damage frame pngs with the ribcage shading more transparent (lighter than the rest of the shadow). Could you check those for me right now?

I'm going to go fix that normal skeleton's rib shadow for you right now.

And I'd like to add that somehow my monsters don't look right against the BG, considering the brightness, the lighting angle, and the viewing angle as well. Ah what a shame!! It's such a good BG too. I guess anytime Safir wants to make a new BG I should work out the conditions with him so we can make things mesh better.

Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 am

Yes, that's something that I noticed as well. Sprites stand out against map mode as well.

What we need is something in the artwork standards page on the wiki that specifies the "baseline luminosity" or whatever the artsy term is that I'm supposed to use. :) Even a cave enviornment shouldn't go too far below this baseline, because the video engine can automatically adjust the lighting so that both the sprites and the tiles can be made to look darker. Unfortunately, setting this type of standard is way out in left field for me because I'm not experienced enough in artwork production, so I leave it to you to come up with the standard Sylon. :approve: If you have questions about the coding side of things such as how the lighting is applied, then I can provide you with that info.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Fri May 19, 2006 5:33 am

Roots wrote:Yes, that's something that I noticed as well. Sprites stand out against map mode as well.

What we need is something in the artwork standards page on the wiki that specifies the "baseline luminosity" or whatever the artsy term is that I'm supposed to use. :) Even a cave enviornment shouldn't go too far below this baseline, because the video engine can automatically adjust the lighting so that both the sprites and the tiles can be made to look darker. Unfortunately, setting this type of standard is way out in left field for me because I'm not experienced enough in artwork production, so I leave it to you to come up with the standard Sylon. :approve: If you have questions about the coding side of things such as how the lighting is applied, then I can provide you with that info.

I think if you just produce things consistently, as you have been so far, you'll be fine. Consistency is by far the most important thing to have.
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Fri May 19, 2006 11:54 am

Jetryl wrote:I think if you just produce things consistently, as you have been so far, you'll be fine. Consistency is by far the most important thing to have.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not going to change my lighting scheme. I want the light source to be at the sprites' zenith so their shadow can fit directly underneath them to conserve space within the image.

It's just that there may be a way to make the battle BGs work to fit around that as well. Hopefully!

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Sat May 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I have a lot of other things I need to be doing for the due dates... but I guess I kinda got inspired for this (Even though it is highly stereotypical... which is big no no... but hell whatever) Also, this is a true test in scanned work compression spriting technique, of course I did have to do my photoshop magic... but I think it came looking pretty cool.

I introduce Daemarbora (Pun name for Demon Tree) Yes he is short, that probably because I didn't know the max to make him... I just knew the multiples of 32 can only be placed.... So I guess he is a demon shurb lol.
[img:128:128]http://allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/battlesprites/Daemarbora.png[/img]
[img:384:384]http://allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/battlesprites/Daemarbora-3x.png[/img]