Here to Help!

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Namakoro

Here to Help!

Postby Namakoro » Mon May 09, 2011 6:41 am

Hi there everyone! =D I'm Namakoro; talked to Roots a bit back on GameDev and then wandered over hereabouts to help out on the artsy side of things. I'm a 2D artist by trade, in university for fine arts, and pursuing a career as an illustrator; I also find myself really liking spritework for being such clean, neat, compact parcels of visual information.

What I'm interested in: Illustration/splashwork, ports, character sprites, monsters and concept work. Basically, the fun things. xD I especially love designing, drawing, painting and spriting monsters.

So... let me know what you want me to do. =D
Roots
Dictator

Re: Here to Help!

Postby Roots » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 am

Hi, glad to have you with us. :) I was thinking that for starting out, maybe you'd be interested in designing enemy sprites for our battle. We have a collection of them already, but we're going to need a few more to complete our next release. I'd recommend that you read the prologue text available below, as that is the text format of what we are trying to present with this next release. Hopefully it will get your imagination going with what kind of creatures fill this universe.

Prologue Story

Our existing set of sprites can be found here:

http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... e/enemies/
If you know how to use subversion to check out our files, that would be helpful since it will give you all the images we currently have and you won't have to manually examine these via your web browser. But if that's too difficult its no problem. Its a pretty big download, FYI (I think 60+MB?).

Now on to the technical details. All of our enemy sprites have dimensions that are a factor 64 pixels. So the smallest sprite you can produce is 64x64. Then you could go up to 128x64 to have a "long" enemy like a snake, 64x128 is the standard size for an adult human, etc. Our sprites have a series of damage frames as well, but that's not immediately important for you so don't worry about that, and I can explain it a little later. Our enemy sprites are not animated because it requires just way too much work to do. Enemies are placed on the battle field in a grid format like that which is shown below. Of course you don't have to fill the enemy to be exactly as large as the 64x image size it fits in. So really you can make them any size you want. Oh, and all sprite image files should be in PNG format.

This is an old draft and isn't 100% accurate to what our current battle system layout looks like, but its close enough. That red area is the location where enemy sprites may be placed on the battle field.

-----

So, what type of enemies should you begin crafting? Well from the prologue text, pay attention to the scene where there are demons attacking the city. We need a set of enemies to represent those demons. Its a pretty vague description, so you can make them however you want. Think of them as "possessed wild beasts of darkness", because that's what they're being made out to be in the larger story to come. I was planning to start making one of my own, though I don't know if I'll have time to get around to it. What I was going to make was a fierce dark toned demon hound with drool dripping off its fangs. That's just one idea.

Oh, and please don't work in a box either. It helps a lot to continue to keep posting drafts of your works in progress so we can give you feedback and point out any potential issues early. It really sucks when you spend your time creating something and present the final form, only to find out that what you made isn't going to fit and needs to be modified (this applies not just to art, but virtually every aspect of development here). Fire away any questions you have! :)
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Mon May 09, 2011 10:40 am

No immediate questions. ^_^

Had some time on my hands tonight and some good new-project energy going, so I managed to scribble out a quick concept sketch for my first enemy/demon, this Manticore-like guy:
http://i52.tinypic.com/4gnu9w.png

(My process is to generally scribble out what it's gonna look like on a bigger Photoshop canvas, then resize it to the correct dimensions and pixel over it on a new layer. When the sprite on the new layer is complete, I delete the sketch layer and everything is correctly transparent. Dunno if everyone does it this way, so I figured I'd just toss it there so no one thinks they're gonna wind up with that big white background in the end. ^_^)

Thoughts/ideas/objections/critique/speculation?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Love it. :approve: That is exactly along the lines of what I thought we should be looking for. And I absolutely love that its standing one of its legs on a human skull. A couple suggestions on the sketch:

- Make the beast a little more muscular. It looks a little anorexic with its tiny waste and ribs poking out. Muscles are more intimidating
- Change it facial expression to be a little more fierce. Right now it looks kind of mischievous with that smile

I'm looking forward to watching this guy come to life. :D
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 am

Sorry to be gone for so long! x____x It's almost time for finals, I ran out of internet for May early this month, and I suddenly had a few paying assignments... so I've been busy. ^^()

Still, I have things to show!

Here's how the Manticore sprite looks all pixelated and shaded:

I did beef him up a bit and tried to make his grin look more sinister. Let me know what else should be tweaked!

Concept art for my next demon-monster thing... A little less adorable than my first one, but... ah, certainly demonic?
http://i56.tinypic.com/rr8rcj.png

Also, randomly, felt like doing a were-rat sprite last night- obviously not a big boss-like demon critter, but might be a smaller-scale, more common enemy? Didn't save my concept sketches of him, but here's a bit of a process I did with him, lemme know your thoughts:
Image (Looked a little boring.)
Image (Added more contrast. Still looked a little boring.)
Image (Cream-colored belly helped, but the eye made him look more sleepy than ferocious.)
Image (So I tweaked that a bit and changed the outline around his mouth. I like him!)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat May 28, 2011 2:19 am

Hey nice to see you! Yeah I was wondering where you disappeared to. No worries though, glad to have you back. :approve:

I think the manticore looks great overall. Here are a few things I noticed with it:
- Found it a little weird that the front claws were black and the "thumb" claw was grey :shrug:
- I think the shading of the tail could use some improvement. Unfortunately that's all I can point out. I'm still trying to understand shading myself so I don't know how to improve it. :huh:
- The shading on the mane as well looks a tad odd to me :shrug: Again, not sure how to improve it here.

Love the concept art for your next piece. That looks truly fiercesome. Although the heart bubble tells me its okay not to be scared. :heh:

I think the final draft of the rat is excellent. Nice job there!
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 am

Sweet! =)

Reworked Manticore a bit... for the shading, I tweaked the tail a little, and made the mane look a little less uniform... I think that's what was throwing that bit off, at least. Maybe?
(And this is what I do on break from my huge finals workload. x___x At least they're over tomorrow!)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:09 am

Hey there! Nice work on the sprites!

My critic on the manticore: It would greatly benefit from some selout, some correcting on the "jaggies" on its left wing, and moar contrast on the skin, I think the "shadow" color should be darker.

Very nice expression, you got the malevolent grin perfect.

All that, of course, is IMHO and ofc easier said than done :approve:
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Psiweapon- Thanks much~! =) I did work on all your suggestions- only tweaked the skin contrast a little, 'cause doing more gave him a bit of a 'shiny' look I didn't really want... If it needs more, I can mess around with it, though! And thanks for pointing out the edges of the wing; totally missed that!

Let me know if you think he needs more! (General statement to anyone~)

Also did damage sprites for Rat; I'm not sure about them, though! I think they need some work, and I'm not sure the mouth-foam is... foamy, enough.
ImageImageImage

Any and all input is appreciated. ^__^
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 pm

For the manticore:

1) I think that maybe he could use softer/lighter outlines on his chest plate area (the yellow part). They stick out to me as kind of an eye sore. :shrug:
2) Perhaps the eye sockets in the skull can be darkened. The light source for this sprite seems like its coming from the left or upper left so it seems a little odd to me that those eye sockets would be receiving as much light as they are.
3) I should have mentioned this much earlier, but the form of the tail seems really odd to me. It gets so small in the back and then has that huge end section. I think I get what you were trying to do with it (the tail is supposed to get more narrow until the last part, where its bigger in size), but because the tail end goes up and curves like that, the size instead gives the sense that the tail is going way far away from the viewer, then suddenly shoots back toward the viewer in full size. Its just...odd.
4) I'm wondering if the outlines of the wings need to be addressed. They are very dark, black outlines and I think maybe it would look better if it was a darker shade of the wing color instead of pure black. The outline on right wing especially looks distraction

It is looking very nice though and I think you've made a ton of progress.

For the rat:

1) Love the damage frames that you did, especially with the foaming! The cuts look very nice and genuine as well.
2) Minor suggestion: maybe you could also cut a little piece out of its tail and/or bruise it up? It seems somewhat odd to me that the tail remains perfect while the body/head show clear signs of damage. Your call though.
3) Yeah I'm not sure how to make it look more foamy. At first I thought that the final damage frame had too much foam, but now looking at it again I think its fine.

You might also consider positing these on a pixel art forum to receive feedback, since you'll get more feedback from more experienced artists. Psiweapon and I both post our art on the Pixelation forums and we've gotten some great help there. Keep up the good work!
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 am

*playing around with the Manticore!* I will get him looking perfect, darn it! (This is the problem with pixel art. It's kind of an OCD-ish science, isn't it? There are a lot more dots in the art I'm used to; you can fudge a few...)

Anywho, have draft 1 of Doomipede (working title. =P). I forgot to kill his background layer before saving the PNG copy (and then was too lazy to go back to the .PSD and fix it. ^^()) and he looks a lot less charming without the heart dialogue, but I still kinda like 'im. =P He has potential.

Will join that forum when I'm not being so damn lazy! =P Looks fab.
*also looking at Mak hound designs*
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi there!

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to download that centipede and do a quick edit to give you a couple of clues. It's standard practice in http://www.wayofthepixel.org

And yeeeeesssss it's OCD through and through.

By the way, great dynamic pose and perspective on the doomipede. You've got to stick to that kind of posing, it really makes sprites live.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 pm

WARNING: THIS POST MIGHT CONTRADICT ART TEACHINGS. MIGHT.

Here's the quick edit I told you about:

This is only my particular view of it, I don't believe myself in possession of the ULTIMATE TRUTH :nono: so you are free of throwing all I say to the garbage bin and not look back.

About the plates on its back (or are they soft?) there's no need to be a nonsensical-swirly-texture-freak as me, but some texture would really bring them to life. Rugged, slimy, whatever.

All in all: go wild your own damn way and have fun.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 pm

I really like how this one is turning out already. :D I agree the back plates could use some texture. I don't particularly like the swirly texture in Psi's edit, but I'm guessing he just did it to illustrate a point. I do agree that the underside could use darker shades like Psi did in his edit. But other than that I think this is an absolutely awesome monster and a welcome addition to our bestiary. :approve: Oh, I like the name "Doomipede" as well ;)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Yes, it's a pretty darn cool monster.

And no, it isn't an ace edit :heh:

Plus I really have trouble making textures that aren't swirly and nonsensical.
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 am

Thanks guys! =D

Psi- awesome edit, although I agree that I'm not into swirls for this particular beasty (although they looked fabulous on your Salamander/Mask demons!) but keratin plates definitely -do- have textures, so valid point there!
A la this guy, maybe? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6sYA7Iz1xgw/SPlGPoMlvYI/AAAAAAAAG3A/56kyGjNJYoc/s400/GREEN+BEETLE+17.10.08+side+view+crop+-+mid.jpg

I'll work on him! ^_^
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Did a bit more work today!
Doomipede v2:
Added some texture and darkened his belly.

Manticore v4:
Obvs, completely reworked his tail, eliminated the chest-scales entirely in favor of lengthening his mane. (Those scales were bothering me, too, to be honest- not sure if I should have just reworked the chest instead of putting mane there, but I'm actually alright with how that looks. Opinions on tail?)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Very good!

That ridgey texture makes the doomipede much more rich! You should also shade the other legs, the shaded ones on the top look awesome. Very good reference.

Very good idea to remove the chest scales on the manticore, but I still think that darkening the shadows would be a good idea.
Namakoro

Postby Namakoro » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 am

...I knew I was forgetting something with him. The legs!

Image Upped contrast.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 am

Also the doomipede needs a shadow. I think these are complete enough to have damage frames done. Then we can add them in. :)

Return to “Artwork”