Demons. [UPDATE #4: FINISHED "the face" sprites, see pag. 2]

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

Demons. [UPDATE #4: FINISHED "the face" sprites, see pag. 2]

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 am

What the flapjack, I already made three concept sketches. Hey, Flapjack is actually a nice show!

Here they are in chronological order:

The Mouth:

Abominable Demon.
Last week or so I had this idea of a demon that's basically a big mouth on a torso, with horns/teeth. More mouth for hands make it creepier. Those things on top of the mouth should be little, very human eyes.

I'd color it in flesh/bone/gore colors, or perhaps some shade of black instead of flesh.

The Face:
Sly or Chaotic Demon
This would be a demon capable of shape-shifting (in my mind, what it would do in the game is wholly another thing!)
The body would be sickly green slime-ish, the plates on hands and feet either bony or silvery, and the mask would be white, perhaps with a touch of color in the cheeks. Think porcelain or venetian mask.

Salamander:
Beastly Fire Demon.
In the end, one of the sketches turned out a "beastly" demon. Perhaps it's for the better, as that way it would fit better with Namakoro's demons. And this is a four armed salamander, Captain Obvious. I'd color it either crimson or bronze and green, and the mouth would be lit up in fire.

Sorry for the bad quality of the files. They're not even scans. They're photos.

What do y'all think about them? Any likes or dislikes in particular? Demons are a wildly varied thing and I just pulled these out of my flapjack, so maybe they fit or maybe they don't. I know the sketches are very rough, and that they probably need some corrections, and we have yet to see how would their fare in their conversion into sprites.
Last edited by Psiweapon on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Demons.

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 am

Wow, I think all three are awesome concepts! :bow: I have no suggestions for improvement. Except that I think the chaotic demon would look better in a blue or purple shade instead of green. Just my opinion though. I really look forward to seeing these as sprites and fighting against them in the game. :approve:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 am

Yeah, man, these are great! :)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Ok, here is a very early wip of the salamander, I'm showing you just to see if you're OK with the size - I looked up the skeleton's dimensions and made it slightly larger.

I'm posting it here because I know in this style of game, enemies are usually oversized, but I'm not sure if this particular size is ok, I don't want to make it too large, or too small.

*digs in piles of useless stuff and cables to find his wacom*

Aha! Here it is! :D

I usually use the mouse for pixeling, but since this one has to be traced over the rough sketch, I'm going to need the wacom. Also I'll need to research into that .png alpha channel transparency stuf, because I only used it once, and a long time ago, so I can't remember how to do it for flapjack's sake. Well, I guess there must be some option in Gimp that'll do the trick.

That's what I'm using, Gimp for image editing (resizing, cropping, whatnot) and GrafX2 for actual pixelling.

Now that I think of it, I'll make another resized version, this one has lost too much information. But well, it was just for dimensions.

EDIT:

Here is the second version, much less fugly.

Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:27 pm

And here is the first, rough lineart + shading version. This is already GrafX2 work.

I'm quite excited about this, as you might notice. This still needs a lot of cleaning and work but now you can have an idea about how would it look.

I've started with the salamander because I love reptilian characters. They actually register as cute on my book.

Perhaps it's too big?

EDIT: These aren't the final colours, of course, I just used the colors the posterizing gave me. And there are some areas that aren't very well shaded - its left leg and its right arms, for example.
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 pm

At least I really love this. :)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:32 pm

This guy will be seeing some serious lineart cleaning today later (I have a social philosophy test in an hour and a half!)
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Good luck. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I think it looks great! Size I wouldn't worry too much about...if he's slightly larger than the skeleton as you said, then it should be perfect. Note that our character sprites are generally sized as 64x128 pixels. We put our enemy sprites in dimensions of 64 pixels (ie both image width and height are evenly divisible by 64), but you can insert any amount of blank space that you want in those images, so really sprites can be any size that you want them to be.

The only thing to be cautious about size-wise is not making them too large if you expect this enemy to be in a party with other enemies, since we want to be able to fit all of those sprites on the same screen as once. But you have a lot of room to work with (512x512 is the space we have for placing enemy sprites) so don't sweat it too much. :)
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Oh, I thought all sprites had to be in factors of 32, but if that's 64 for monster standards, I will just resize the canvas.

I don't know if this monster will feature with other monsters, you just said you needed three or four more demons! :eyespin:

Actually, to those of you who are the game devs, what does this guy suggest?
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm continuing with the salamander. I returned quite happy from today's test.

Here is the WIP clean lineart:

And just the same but tacked on top of the rough shading, ugly, but you get the idea.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Psiweapon wrote:Oh, I thought all sprites had to be in factors of 32, but if that's 64 for monster standards, I will just resize the canvas.

I don't know if this monster will feature with other monsters, you just said you needed three or four more demons! :eyespin:

Actually, to those of you who are the game devs, what does this guy suggest?

Map sprites are in factors of 32, but in battle we use sprites in factors of 64. (For our characters, we actually take their map sprites and double their size when they are put into battle, so instead of 32x64 they are blown up to 64x128).

Of course this enemy will be featured with others. In an RPG battle you typically encounter enemies in groups, do you not? The only enemies we'd normally see alone are boss-types. This set of demon enemies that we need to create are a force that swarms the protagonist's home kingdom while he's away on a mission. FYI if you haven't read it, the chapter that this upcoming release is based on is available on our website here:

http://www.allacrost.org/?q=node/5

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see what he looks like when the shading is completed and details are added. :approve:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:30 am

Roots wrote:Of course this enemy will be featured with others. In an RPG battle you typically encounter enemies in groups, do you not? The only enemies we'd normally see alone are boss-types. This set of demon enemies that we need to create are a force that swarms the protagonist's home kingdom while he's away on a mission.

I was thinking more on the line of one/two/three bats encounters

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see what he looks like when the shading is completed and details are added. :approve:

Thanks! :D
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:14 am

Clean lineart:

And now, onto color!
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 am

I think I'm going to call it a day so here is the color wip

ImageImage

EDIT: I posted the new wip snapshot besides the old one for comparison purposes
Last edited by Psiweapon on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:12 am

You do more in a day than I can do in a week. :rolleyes:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am

New wip snapshot, posted above.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

The picture is finished.

It only needs some minor corrections, and then I'll do the damaged versions and add the transparent background.

Edit: I love monsters with multiple limbs.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Sweet. :approve: I read your thread over at pixelation and agree with all the comments that you and the guy made over there for the minor corrections.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Final, usable version:

I hope the image complies with all the standards.

Let me know your thoughts. It's been three days to make this!

Return to “Artwork”