NEEEEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE: BR0KEN GRAPHIC FILES

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

NEEEEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE: BR0KEN GRAPHIC FILES

Post by Psiweapon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey guys. I hate to say this but...

YOU HAVE GOT SOME REALLY FUCKED UP GRAPHIC FILES. :angry:

There are a TON of files, tilesets, item sets and spritesheets; in which the object of the file (the tiles, character, of whatever) is laid over a TON of garbage: Other tiles, other characters, or just random colored shapes. All that stuff is only alpha-ed over :disapprove: If you open them in GIMP, they won't show up, but I use GrafX2 for pixel art and, ZOMG, there's all kind of "supposedly deleted stuff" in there.

Not only does this make my work a LOT more hard, the files probably weigh a lot more than they really should.

Do I have your permission to clean files I work on? You better give it to me, because there's no way I can work with them if you don't. :bang:

Really, if this is the fault of that awesome artist you used to have on board, I didn't expect it at all from such a professional guy. But maybe he just didn't realize, who knows :huh: I only found out because GrafX2 doesn't display the alpha channel.
Roots
Dictator

Re: NEEEEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE: BR0KEN GRAPHIC FILES

Post by Roots » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:32 pm

:eyebrow:

Are you sure its not just the GrafX2 editor that is messing these files up? I actually have that installed on my system so I opened up the files and yeah, I see what you mean. I don't understand how or where this old image data is hiding in the PNG file though. If I open it up in GIMP, or a web browser, or any other image viewer on my system I see everything just fine and I haven't found a way to get this old image data to display.

I don't know what the heck that editor is doing or how it sees that data (or why it would even display it). Hold off on any changes you'd like/need to make to these files because we need to look into this further. A lot of these images were either created, saved, or modified with GIMP (and maybe a few with photoshop) and we're not going to stop using those editors, so even if you clean up all of those files if those editors somehow screwed them up to begin with, we'll just get back to the same problem.

I'll do some research and see what I can figure out. You might want to look into GrafX2 options and see if there is a way to tell it to ignore image data that is not actually in the image.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:58 pm

I just posted a message on the GrafX2 message list asking about this issue and if there's a way to turn off hidden image data. It has to be approved by moderators so after it is, I'll post the link here so we can follow.
Psiweapon

Post by Psiweapon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

It's something with the alpha channel.

Building_interior_objects_01.png is made on top of harrvah_house.png. It even has some items duplicated in places, probably from when he was making them and hadn't decided their location in the final layout of the file.

Try this yourself with your own copy:
Use the gimp's color picker on the transparent areas of building_interior_objects_01.png. Depending on where you click, it will return different color values, which proves the colors are still there. Then use the gimps anti-eraser on the transparent zone. You will end up with something like this:

Knight attacks are pasted on top of previous frames of itself, Laila's idle animation (And Rafaela's, and Vanica's) are pasted on top of her walking animation, her walking animation is pasted on top of Claudius'... Rafaela's walking animation, by contrast, has a clean white background.

It makes sense! When he was making a new sprite, he built it on top of an existing one (standard practice) but when erasing the "old" parts, most of the time he was only erasing their opacity, but leaving in the color information. Sometimes, like with the tiles, he just selected the entire canvas, hit "del", made new things, and "saved as".

On the positive side of it all, we might be able to salvage some discarded pieces that are still useful, if there are any :cool:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I got a complete response that answers everything:
http://groups.google.com/group/grafx2/b ... 0bb9627375

Basically, GrafX2 doesn't handle PNG transparency properly. Its in their bug tracker and is something they're trying to get fixed in the next release. Until then, they provided the following instructions as a work around (using GIMP). There are two ways:

1) Open the image in GIMP
2) Change the image to a palette based format by going to: Color -> Mode -> Indexed
3) Save the image

- or -

1) Open the image in GIMP
2) "Save as" a PNG file
3) In the save options, uncheck "Keep color values for transparent pixels"

I recommend we try to do this from now on with our files, not only in light of the GrafX2 issue but because we can reduce the size of image files significantly.

We could exploit this feature of PNG files to embed secret messages and/or art in our images. Or you could even embed entire applications if you manipulate the pixel data in a certain format. In fact I think that hackers have found exploits in image file formats before to run applications secretly hidden within images. Pretty cool stuff. :D
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:14 pm

FYI, a couple days ago I "fixed" all of the tileset and sprite images in SVN to remove the hidden color value data. So the release coming out this week should give you a set of images that are much easier to work with. I didn't get around to doing the same for all the portraits/icons/etc art, but I don't think its as much of a problem there anyway.