Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Battle Background - WIP

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon May 14, 2007 8:19 pm

zOMFG :!:

That is so holy cow!

Wow, I have been blinded by the sheer beauty of it. I must put on my sunglasses :cool:
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Mon May 14, 2007 8:23 pm

To Jetryl:

Sure, I don't mind at... but I liked yours as a location bar... :(

Anyway, I am planning to get the town battle bg done in the next days...

Oh by the way... TILING without Cheating with photoshop filters is a B****... sighs... :(

Everybody Else:

Thank ya!
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Mon May 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:To Jetryl:

Anyway, I am planning to get the town battle bg done in the next days...
Awesome!

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Oh by the way... TILING without Cheating with photoshop filters is a B****... sighs... :(
You don't say... :bang:
It's been very difficult for me.
MindFlayer
Developer

Post by MindFlayer » Tue May 15, 2007 4:58 am

/me :bow:s S-K, just wow again. :D
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 am

Freaking Brilliant~ :approve:

edit: Safir, you are a freaking artistic demon. I can't stop looking at the latest background...MUST ESCAPE...getting weaker...or stronger, I don't know which.

Anyhoo, seeing that background has really gotten me back on the horse. :) :approve: :approve:

I am getting overtly motivated again.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am

Rain wrote:Freaking Brilliant~ :approve:

edit: Safir, you are a freaking artistic demon. I can't stop looking at the latest background...MUST ESCAPE...getting weaker...or stronger, I don't know which.

Anyhoo, seeing that background has really gotten me back on the horse. :) :approve: :approve:

I am getting overtly motivated again.
I'm very glad! :)
jsmith71
Artist

Post by jsmith71 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:58 am

Jeez, I have to drop in to say that the new background is absolutely stunning. I love how you interpreted the protrusions in Jetryl's new wall tiles as tubes for the bug-things. :p
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Josiah Tobin wrote:Jeez, I have to drop in to say that the new background is absolutely stunning. I love how you interpreted the protrusions in Jetryl's new wall tiles as tubes for the bug-things. :p
Yep, I used both versions of holes for the bugs. The tubing version was more of a random concept in general.
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Wow Safir, one of your best works for Allacrost, ever, I'd say. Glad to see you back in action!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 pm

gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 pm

:twitch:

i'm speechless
jsmith71
Artist

Post by jsmith71 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:25 am

How do you crank these out so fast? :p
One thing that seems off to me is the perspective on the path-- It seems too 'overhead' on the parts closer to the camera, if that makes sense.
Ever think of maybe doing a tutorial for this stuff?
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 am

Josiah Tobin wrote:How do you crank these out so fast? :p
One thing that seems off to me is the perspective on the path-- It seems too 'overhead' on the parts closer to the camera, if that makes sense.
I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level.

[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... s/town.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... townv2.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... townv3.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Safir-Kreuz on Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:
I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level
This is, once again, pretty dang amazing; in part due to what Josiah just mentioned - the speed at which you made this. :eyespin:

:huh: I do think josiah's onto something with the perspective issue - so far as I can tell, the top part of the picture looks perfect. The bottom half looks a little iffy only because...
... if the road is supposed to be level, it should keep getting wider as it approaches to viewer; at the same rate as it did before.
... if the road drops below level, it somehow feels strange, because the whole visual design of battle-mode assumes a flat spot in the foreground where the player and monsters can duke it out.

It could probably be fixed with I quick wave of photoshop's trasform->warp tool.

:bow: I've gotta say, though, the texturing, the earth/ground in this is amazing. And because the top half of this is completely fine, our location bar for the town is finished.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 9:29 am

Jetryl wrote:
Safir-Kreuz wrote:
I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level
This is, once again, pretty dang amazing; in part due to what Josiah just mentioned - the speed at which you made this. :eyespin:

:huh: I do think josiah's onto something with the perspective issue - so far as I can tell, the top part of the picture looks perfect. The bottom half looks a little iffy only because...
... if the road is supposed to be level, it should keep getting wider as it approaches to viewer; at the same rate as it did before.
... if the road drops below level, it somehow feels strange, because the whole visual design of battle-mode assumes a flat spot in the foreground where the player and monsters can duke it out.

It could probably be fixed with I quick wave of photoshop's trasform->warp tool.

:bow: I've gotta say, though, the texturing, the earth/ground in this is amazing. And because the top half of this is completely fine, our location bar for the town is finished.
That's been fixed version 2 is up with a version 1 above your last post.

It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed May 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.

It might be worth going even further with it (20-40% more), but it already looks tons better.

Also fixing the bottom half of this isn't needed for 0.2.0 (which we're trying to get out ASAP - maybe a week or two left, if that? ); what we really needed was the top chunk of this for a location bar image. And that part is perfect. :approve:
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Safir-Kreuz wrote:It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.

It might be worth going even further with it (20-40% more), but it already looks tons better.

Also fixing the bottom half of this isn't needed for 0.2.0 (which we're trying to get out ASAP - maybe a week or two left, if that? ); what we really needed was the top chunk of this for a location bar image. And that part is perfect. :approve:
Fix
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... townv4.jpg[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed May 16, 2007 8:50 pm

The latest version, and a location bar image made from the top of it, have been committed to svn. This is what the location bar looks like:

[img:500:125]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... illage.png[/img]

So for the time being, we're good to go on this. :approve:
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Damn nice.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)