Battle Background - WIP

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 am

zOMFG :!:

That is so holy cow!

Wow, I have been blinded by the sheer beauty of it. I must put on my sunglasses :cool:
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 2:23 am

To Jetryl:

Sure, I don't mind at... but I liked yours as a location bar... :(

Anyway, I am planning to get the town battle bg done in the next days...

Oh by the way... TILING without Cheating with photoshop filters is a B****... sighs... :(

Everybody Else:

Thank ya!
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:To Jetryl:

Anyway, I am planning to get the town battle bg done in the next days...

Awesome!

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Oh by the way... TILING without Cheating with photoshop filters is a B****... sighs... :(

You don't say... :bang:
It's been very difficult for me.
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:58 am

/me :bow:s S-K, just wow again. :D
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue May 15, 2007 11:04 am

Freaking Brilliant~ :approve:

edit: Safir, you are a freaking artistic demon. I can't stop looking at the latest background...MUST ESCAPE...getting weaker...or stronger, I don't know which.

Anyhoo, seeing that background has really gotten me back on the horse. :) :approve: :approve:

I am getting overtly motivated again.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Rain wrote:Freaking Brilliant~ :approve:

edit: Safir, you are a freaking artistic demon. I can't stop looking at the latest background...MUST ESCAPE...getting weaker...or stronger, I don't know which.

Anyhoo, seeing that background has really gotten me back on the horse. :) :approve: :approve:

I am getting overtly motivated again.

I'm very glad! :)
jsmith71
Artist

Postby jsmith71 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Jeez, I have to drop in to say that the new background is absolutely stunning. I love how you interpreted the protrusions in Jetryl's new wall tiles as tubes for the bug-things. :p
[img:256:70]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Frog32/skillz_small.png[/img]
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Josiah Tobin wrote:Jeez, I have to drop in to say that the new background is absolutely stunning. I love how you interpreted the protrusions in Jetryl's new wall tiles as tubes for the bug-things. :p

Yep, I used both versions of holes for the bugs. The tubing version was more of a random concept in general.
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 am

Wow Safir, one of your best works for Allacrost, ever, I'd say. Glad to see you back in action!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 4:35 am

[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/town.jpg[/img]
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed May 16, 2007 5:41 am

:twitch:

i'm speechless
jsmith71
Artist

Postby jsmith71 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:25 am

How do you crank these out so fast? :p
One thing that seems off to me is the perspective on the path-- It seems too 'overhead' on the parts closer to the camera, if that makes sense.
Ever think of maybe doing a tutorial for this stuff?
[img:256:70]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Frog32/skillz_small.png[/img]
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 2:55 pm

Josiah Tobin wrote:How do you crank these out so fast? :p
One thing that seems off to me is the perspective on the path-- It seems too 'overhead' on the parts closer to the camera, if that makes sense.

I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level.

[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/town.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/townv2.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/townv3.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Safir-Kreuz on Wed May 16, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed May 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:

I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level

This is, once again, pretty dang amazing; in part due to what Josiah just mentioned - the speed at which you made this. :eyespin:

:huh: I do think josiah's onto something with the perspective issue - so far as I can tell, the top part of the picture looks perfect. The bottom half looks a little iffy only because...
... if the road is supposed to be level, it should keep getting wider as it approaches to viewer; at the same rate as it did before.
... if the road drops below level, it somehow feels strange, because the whole visual design of battle-mode assumes a flat spot in the foreground where the player and monsters can duke it out.

It could probably be fixed with I quick wave of photoshop's trasform->warp tool.

:bow: I've gotta say, though, the texturing, the earth/ground in this is amazing. And because the top half of this is completely fine, our location bar for the town is finished.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Safir-Kreuz wrote:

I get what you saying there, I think it's not necessarily a view change... it's looks like the road going below the ground level

This is, once again, pretty dang amazing; in part due to what Josiah just mentioned - the speed at which you made this. :eyespin:

:huh: I do think josiah's onto something with the perspective issue - so far as I can tell, the top part of the picture looks perfect. The bottom half looks a little iffy only because...
... if the road is supposed to be level, it should keep getting wider as it approaches to viewer; at the same rate as it did before.
... if the road drops below level, it somehow feels strange, because the whole visual design of battle-mode assumes a flat spot in the foreground where the player and monsters can duke it out.

It could probably be fixed with I quick wave of photoshop's trasform->warp tool.

:bow: I've gotta say, though, the texturing, the earth/ground in this is amazing. And because the top half of this is completely fine, our location bar for the town is finished.

That's been fixed version 2 is up with a version 1 above your last post.

It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.

It might be worth going even further with it (20-40% more), but it already looks tons better.

Also fixing the bottom half of this isn't needed for 0.2.0 (which we're trying to get out ASAP - maybe a week or two left, if that? ); what we really needed was the top chunk of this for a location bar image. And that part is perfect. :approve:
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed May 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Safir-Kreuz wrote:It's a easy fix really, still need some work done, but it's going as is for a while, I worked on it all Tuesday, well.... 11:00am to 11:30pm... :( I feel like I might need to go back and actually draw in the closer road tiles.

It might be worth going even further with it (20-40% more), but it already looks tons better.

Also fixing the bottom half of this isn't needed for 0.2.0 (which we're trying to get out ASAP - maybe a week or two left, if that? ); what we really needed was the top chunk of this for a location bar image. And that part is perfect. :approve:

Fix
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/townv4.jpg[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 am

The latest version, and a location bar image made from the top of it, have been committed to svn. This is what the location bar looks like:

[img:500:125]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Misc/locations/mountain_village.png[/img]

So for the time being, we're good to go on this. :approve:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:49 am

Damn nice.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Return to “Artwork”