Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

The NON-ALLACROST ART Topic

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Wow, that looks really good!
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:00 pm

Jetryl wrote:Source, then mine, respectively:
[img:220:153]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... -thumb.jpg[/img] [img:220:153]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... 2-mine.jpg[/img]
That's really great, Jetryl. At first I thought you only did the face and stuck it on the original image -- and then it slowly dawned on me that you redid the whole thing! Keep it up, the journey really looks worth it :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:48 pm

Amazing :eyespin:. So do you actually paint these, as in with a paintbrush? And then you scan it into Photoshop and touch it up?

I actually think the guy's face looks better in the painting than in the original (probably because there's no motion blur/mis-focus). :twitch: By the way, why do you use Pirates of the Caribbean for your painting sources? :heh:
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 am

Roots wrote:Amazing :eyespin:. So do you actually paint these, as in with a paintbrush? And then you scan it into Photoshop and touch it up?
NO, I paint it straight in photoshop. When I say "I need to learn to actually paint", I mean that I need to achieve a level of skill that guarantees competence. A level of skill that means I won't "Choke" (c.f. eminem in 8-mile) when I need to draw something. It's like the difference between being a yellow belt, and being a ninja. I don't want to dabble, I want to be a master. I don't want to spend my whole life wishing I was awesome at painting; I want to actually achieve it.

:( It ain't gon be easy.

:eyebrow: On a side note, there is little to no incentive for me to ever learn how to paint with traditional medias. I personally think that computers have many advantages over them. In fact, the one advantage that people claim traditional medias have over computers - that being the "tactile" nature of traditional media, and the ease of transferring thoughts onto paper, actually works in reverse for me. It's actually becoming easier for me to draw and sketch on a computer, than it is for me to draw with a pencil.
Roots wrote:I actually think the guy's face looks better in the painting than in the original (probably because there's no motion blur/mis-focus). :twitch:
Gee, thanks. :D
Roots wrote:By the way, why do you use Pirates of the Caribbean for your painting sources? :heh:
a] It's just inescapably awesome.
b] Doing "Pirates" fan-art is far less cliché than, say, Inuyasha fan art. In fact, doing fan art for american (non-comic-book-based) movies is ... almost non-existent. This is not fan-art proper yet, but once I graduate to actually making up visual scenes myself (gonna be difficult), it will be.

c] CG notwithstanding, I'm drawing something I can rely upon to be accurate in terms of lighting and such. It's realistic enough to substitute for some boring stock photo, which is what I'd otherwise be using.

That is to say, it's useable, yet still fun to draw.
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:15 am

Nice, I agree that your face actually looks better than the movie one, although is is also thinner :huh: .

Personally, although I do sometimes do pictures where I copy an image or something that is infront of me, I prefer doing it from my mind, and working out how the lighting would work in whatever picture I'm doing (although using refernces for texture etc) because it helps me to understand why the stuff that I'm drawing works like it does when I compare it to something real, and therefore I can do it more intuitively. That and what I want to draw normally doesn't exist in real life, or is so obscure that finding a reference picture would be very difficult and boring.

I'm also very much like Jetryl in that I don't use traditional methods very much, although for me it's because its much harder to erase a mistake in traditional art, and it would be more expensive to do (compare downloading GIMP for free to buying paper, pencils, paintbrushes and paint, and you'll see what I mean.)

Oh, and I'm in the middle of doing a dragon picture right now, so I'll have something to post here soon.
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

My latest bit of art (although it isn't really finished, it's part of a larger picture and putting it into that will involve editing it a bit):[img:650:600]http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/2 ... angerM.png[/img]

link
Last edited by Ranger M on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Jetryl wrote:I need to learn how to really paint, not the bullshit I've pumped out so far...
Wow. I very much look forward to you making an "ass" out of yourself. :)

Excellent job

Ryan
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:34 pm

With my small side show around here I discovered my old love again sketches and pencil stuff now just with a PC.

Unlike Jetryl I'm not that hot to achive perfection with colors
it is enough if I can get the things in my head on the paper and thats difficult enough.

[img:1000:726]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4673/neuxf5.png[/img]

One question Jetryl, when can we expect Johnny Depp as the god of the natives on his throne. :devil:
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:57 pm

wayfarer wrote:One question Jetryl, when can we expect Johnny Depp as the god of the natives on his throne. :devil:
:devil: soon.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:03 am

Coloring job I did over at wesnoth - this was a picture by Magdelena Miñko*, of an elvish druid. Someone had been given line art for a campaign, but not a colored version. Some months later, they posted on the main forums asking for help, because the artist had basically stood them up. Obliged in part by how pretty this picture was (ironically, it's the face that I found unusually ... alluring - I'm a bit burned out on cheesecake), I did a quick coloring job on this (and a few other pictures).

So-
[img:205:486]http://exong.net/wesnoth-attach/files/cart4_648_871.png[/img] [img:246:583]http://exong.net/wesnoth-attach/files/elenia_110.jpg[/img]

*(On an unrelated note - godFdammit that name is so cool. Why don't women in this country have elaborate names like that? :( )
wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:50 am

Hmm no random praises :eyebrow:

Well than I add mine.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Magdelina is a nice name. Why are the women I date named Nicole or Katie or Sarah?

The coloring is very nice. It almost is impressionist in the vaguery of the lighting, as she doesn't quite seem tangible. That could be my blurred vision, but it looks very nice. Proportions are quite good too. You could possibly elongate the toes, and maybe allow for the eyes to pierce open slightly. Right now she looks like she's closing her eyes while having pensive thoughts on this horn or her short toes coupled with her perfectly shaped knee, hand, and abdomen.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:27 am

In recent news, I learned to draw decent sprite-style leaves, unlike the buttpile that was my last attempt at trees, round these parts.

These are wesnoth's equivalent of Ents, known as "Woses" (name cribbed from the mythological "woodwose", from germanic/scandinavian lore). They're accompanied by their close friends, the elves, in this picture.

[img:229:259]http://exong.net/wesnoth-attach/files/a ... mo_151.png[/img]
Sylon
Artist

Post by Sylon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:41 am

Wow that is a MAJOR improvement over the last wose design! Excellent. I love it.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:01 am

Jetryl wrote:In recent news, I learned to draw decent sprite-style leaves, unlike the buttpile that was my last attempt at trees, round these parts.

These are wesnoth's equivalent of Ents, known as "Woses" (name cribbed from the mythological "woodwose", from germanic/scandinavian lore). They're accompanied by their close friends, the elves, in this picture.
Well I've come around to learn how to draw decent hair on portraits.
[img:1000:887]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5738/a ... ayfaw0.png[/img]

I quess I call here Layla. :D
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Thats gorgeous. Theres something very 'Greek' about the mannerism of the pose. Very nice job on the anatomy.
My hat goes off to you, good sir. Those are excellent. I LOVE the tree monsters.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:12 pm

wayfarer wrote: Well I've come around to learn how to draw decent hair on portraits.
[img:1000:887]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5738/a ... ayfaw0.png[/img]

I quess I call here Layla. :D
Very interesting! It reminds me quite a bit of the flowingness found of the character Howl from Miyazaki's latest offering. The hair definitely doesn't look too bad. Do you plan on shading the piece in a little?

(of Zeon)

wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:14 am

Haven't watched the movie. I always liked such flowing stuff since I've seen Batman and Spawn. Even if the character stands moveless there is movement in the picture.

If I get it done I'll add a parchment and try to shade it slightly with red like the old chinese landscape artists have done it.

Edit:
Damned typos
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:06 am

wayfarer wrote:Haven't watched the movie. I always liked such flowing stuff since I've seen Badman and Spawn. Even if the character stands moveless there is movement in the picture.

If I get it done I'll a parchment and try to shade it slightly with with red like the old chinese landscape artists have done it.
Right. I myself love when a good artist can reflect movement even when that particular character is in a stationary position. Thats why I love Yoshitaka Amano so much. The lack of rigidness with his contour lines allows the shape of his characters to seemingly come to life. I look forward to seeing how your piece progresses.

And here is a picture of Howl. I must admit that the correlation between your character's appearance and Howl is a bit uncanny.

[img:485:262]http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/dv ... ie-big.jpg[/img]

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:52 am

wayfarer wrote:...
:approve: HEY. That face is like 10X better looking now! It's all in where you put the lines, man.

In fact her face is actually rather .. pretty, now, whilst still possessing a certain imperious/willful nature. Nice.

(Oh, yeah - the hair rocks, too. :D)