Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

The NON-ALLACROST ART Topic

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:22 am

:)
Yeah I must admit I'm quite fond of the face. Something I always have trouble with. It helped that I sticked to one line strength for the whole picture and haven't switched like in my other tries.

An yeah I've seen these "rigidness of contour lines" most western(aka Batman, Superman... ) comics used this style. I believe most mangas, anime for like "Ghost in the shell broke" with this scheme. But still some eastern stuff is just to overwinding for me :eyespin: (I hate Sailormoon :axe: and what it has done to humanity ) . Though this Howl sounds interesting
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Well the finished result.

not exactly happy with it but an improvement

[img:1159:1140]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8673 ... rpgpd7.png[/img]
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm

I think it looks great. :) My only major gripe with your art is that the lines are so soft and disconnected that its hard for someone to just look at the image and clearly grasp what it is depicting. But if its just a choice of artistic style, then I guess I can't gripe about that at all :heh:
wayfarer
Contributor

Post by wayfarer » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks.

My problem is that even it would look 10 times better I wouldn't or better said I can't do it another way, because it is one of the things that separates me from some other artists. There are thousand superb artists out there. The world doesn't need another bad clone.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:54 am

On a random point, iStockPhoto seems to work very well for me in finding reference images for common subjects. The images are watermarked, but because I'm not using them in some print setting, I can take the watermarked images as-is and not have to pay anything (the site is designed for people to browse and purchase photographic "clip art"; often for advertisements/print).

It's better than google images, as long as I'm not searching for a specific subject that normal photographers wouldn't have access to to take pictures of. Better, because each image is categorized with a wide variety of deliberately entered metadata. Google search just has to guess, by context, what a picture contains; this site had each image heavily classified with keywords by the author.

Also, most (though not all) of the content is photographs, with lighting/coloration that is appealing to the human eye, if not realistic (after being photochopped). Google images can't be restricted to searching for just photos, and tends to turn up a lot of useless noise in the results (icons, avatars, .. non-photos).

http://www.istockphoto.com/
Jetryl wrote:b] Doing "Pirates" fan-art is far less cliché than, say, Inuyasha fan art. In fact, doing fan art for american (non-comic-book-based) movies is ... almost non-existent. This is not fan-art proper yet, but once I graduate to actually making up visual scenes myself (gonna be difficult), it will be.
Every once in a while, I'll make a statement that is completely, flabbergastingly, false. It's bad to purport misinformation, and bad for me to have those wrong ideas, but the only way to grow a stable of correct ideas is to be daring enough to make some very wrong hypotheses along the way. What can I do. :axe:

Since no one else has done so, I'm calling myself on the above. There's a lot of Pirates fan art out there (a good place to find it is deviantart), I had just never seen any of it. It also seems that other movies have fan art in proportion to how fantastic (lit - how "out of this world"), exotic, or stylistic its content is. The mundane doesn't get a lot of fanart.

E.g, I think there would be a lot of Matrix fanart, and very, very little "there's something about mary" fanart. :heh:
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:47 am

And, yet another "It looked so good in my mind" piece from me (linky), read description for one of the many reasons for the huge quality differences across the picture.

Had a lot of fun doing parts of it, but I made the mistake of including a lot of not so fun stuff, which I ended up skimming over and doing badly because there was so much.

EDIT @ Jetryl: Yeah, I know it's another dark piece, but I've finally discovered why something that looks perfectly fine and bright to me looks way to dark to everyone else, my crappy screens contrast settings (which I can't change) and a bad choice of brightness settings, unfortunately I only found out near the end of this pic so I just finished it and I'll do a better one next (and check for it's brightness on a computer with a good screen).