Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

BOSS #1 MUSIC SAMPLE, DRAFT #1

Discuss and share compositions for the game here

Moderator: Staff

GUS

BOSS #1 MUSIC SAMPLE, DRAFT #1

Post by GUS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 am

Hey,

Here is an idea for the music for the first boss.

I tried to make it intense, seeing as its the end of the first chapter, and the scorpion is a vicious animal.

I used polyrhythm, to add a tribal/battle feel, as well as some discord to create tension.

I think the music will loop when the beat comes in, the sound used for the beat may not be something you want...and is easily changed.

If you like elements of it, and want to hear a second draft, tell me what you think doesn't fit, or what might be inappropriate.
Cheers,

http://www.box.net/shared/ibueaq7rc4

-A.
Brian
Writer

Re: BOSS #1 MUSIC SAMPLE, DRAFT #1

Post by Brian » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey, I think this is pretty good!
A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.
GUS

Post by GUS » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:17 am

Cheers,

Still needs alot of work/development!

I want to hear more opinions!

-A.
GUS

Post by GUS » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 am

Hi,

here is a second draft, I tried to beef it up, make it more intense, hopefully I didn't go over board with the dissonance =P.
Its still a bit messy, things i wanna get ride of,

Tell what you think...

http://www.box.net/shared/xer0iyxddm

P.S Sound SFXs are still a comin!

-A.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Yeah the dissonance was something that caught my attention on the first draft. I think the second draft is better than the first all around. There are some samples in draft #2 that I think do not belong though. They are kind of in the middle of the track, and they sound like very happy, high pitched tunes. I do like some of the elements in this piece and I think you did a good job of portraying a sense of danger. In its current state though I don't think it would fit in well with the rest of our soundtrack. But all decisions on music are Rain's territory. I'm just a commentator in this area :)

I look forward to hearing what kind of sounds you can make
GUS

Post by GUS » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:17 am

Hey,

thanks for your thoughts,

I am aware of the happy major stuff your referring to, I put a bit of that in so that there was an element of hope, as well as danger/evil. But taking it out might be a good idea for sure.

Due to you guys needing sound more then anything (I am aware you guys have a composer already), I probably wont be making another draft, unless theres some wild enthusiasm.

I started on SFX today, I've never done it before so I had to experiment. I quickly discovered that manipulating real audio was the way to go (rather then midi), so i recorded a sample of my voice, and fucked with it.

I made a sound effect for the magic missile, theres a sound that trails off (starts about half way through it) which i am going to cut, so all is left is the initial blast.

you can here the draft here,

Tell me what you think,
cheers,

-A.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am

Hey GUS, Rujasu from the programming team here. Regarding your music draft, it sounds like a pretty good tune. It sounds a lot like the sort of music I would expect to hear in a game in a similar vein to Allacrost, and I think it certainly conveys the emotion intended. That said, I don't know how well it would fit into Allacrost in its current state. For one thing, we seem to have a lot of battle music currently (though I know Rain wants quite a bit, so we might use it down the road.) Also, parts of it sound a bit grainy -- sounds great if you're going for emulating the 16-bit sound, but our soundtrack is more of a "modernized version" of that sound.

Rain could give you much better feedback than I could, however, as he's actually a music guy. Even if it's not ready to go straight into the game, definitely hang onto that theme, I definitely think there's a place for it somewhere.

As for the magic missile SFX, it sounds decent. Can you produce it in .WAV format? That would help, as I could try testing it out in the game itself, to see how it sounds in front of our battle themes.

Anyway, good to see someone contributing SFX for us. Thanks!
GUS

Post by GUS » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:57 am

Hi Rujasu,

thanks for your thoughts,

It is a little tricky mixing different musical styles, everything you've said makes sense to me.

Yeah the drums have a certain distorted effect on them, making them sound 8-bit, I grew up with the first Nintendo and Atari, I love that sound, haha, but its a reference to a time period (of games) that probably inst suiting. But changing that is extremely easy, if I am to do another draft, there is alot of changes I would make, and I could make a version with a different drum sound.

Theres a few touches I want to do to the Magic missile sound, and I can bounce that into a WAV for ya, no worries.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

-A.
GUS

Post by GUS » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 am

Hey again,

here is a second draft of the Magic Blast effect.

Its in WAV form,

-A.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 am

GUS wrote:Hey again,

here is a second draft of the Magic Blast effect.

Its in WAV form,

-A.
:approve: Pretty much perfect. I'll do the honors of adding it in.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Done.
koter

Post by koter » Tue May 30, 2017 3:05 pm

That sound really good! Good luck on your oeuvre! :approve: :approve:
Hi!