Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

my comments on the songs

Discuss and share compositions for the game here

Moderator: Staff

TytOBug

my comments on the songs

Post by TytOBug » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:10 pm

to be updated when new ones come up.

i'm a huge music fan :) and played the piano for several years (before i quit cuz of financial and school reasons) :mad: course i stil remember the basics, but dang it do i suck at playing now.

anyways, comments on the two wonderful songs (which i quickly dled cuz i'm such a curious bug)

hopeless desert - very nice... it reminds me a bit of some of the music from FF7, but in a complimenting way? :heh: i like the use of the oboe (? i think... that's the instrument? not sure). it is definetly something that makes a good bg music that won't bother u after listening repeatedly. (sometimes in a game, i would literally hate visiting a certain place if the bg music was horrible... goes the same for great music = visit lots)

opening - hmm, i'm not sure if the ocean waves are going to be used as part of the fading in of the title. but ofcourse everything's there for a reason. it makes a great song with or without the ocean waves (since it just seems a tad outta place unless the story is related to the ocean). and well, the end of the opening too, the waves were a bit long :) i would suggest holding the note a bit longer or cutting the waves short... but maybe that's just me. hope u don't find me complaining too much, jus giving feedback. i really like the melody :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Feedback is good, whether its good or bad so don't be afraid to express your opinions about anything. :) The game is not going to only take place in the desert. It is a world-wide journey, and I think the ocean waves are appropriate. I was thinking of a great bootscreen image to go with this music: Claudius standing tall looking out over an endless ocean. Doesn't that symbolize 'journey' well? I think it does :) Can't say I totally agree with your comment about the length of the waves. It is just the intro music, so I don't think you'll be listening to it a whole lot unless you like the boot screen a lot. :D Maybe we'll find a place to use it in the game further down the road though. Thanks for sharing!
TytOBug

Post by TytOBug » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:05 am

lol, okay okay... i'll admit :bow: i have been putting the two songs on repeat on my winamp. :heh:

anyways, wow, i did not know that u need to pay over $2000 per song for those mp3 loyalties or whatever. jeez... looks like i'll have to tell my music person to switch to ogg too! dang it... greedy... blah blah people.
Star Pilot
Former Staff

Post by Star Pilot » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:38 pm

Tyto- Yeah, that's an oboe with the melody. I'm glad you think it doesn't get old. I almost stopped with the two separate parts, but the key changes really gave it much more depth. I'm happy with that. :D And yeah, lots of people have told me it sounds like Sandy Badlands from FFVII. :\ Hopefully it's still original enough (I must have been subconsciously thinking of that song or something :cry:), but if that becomes too much of an issue I can rewrite the first few notes of the melody some.

Yeah, the thing with the waves is that the boot screen tune isn't something the player is going to be listening to looping over and over. I still wanted the waves to have an effect right at the beginning, but I cut it a bit shorter than the end because I wanted to catch the reader's attention before he just passes through the screen. Because of the structure of the first four measures, the track won't loop well, but it still makes a good opening thing, I think. Like I said, everything is changeable (though some things are more of a pain in the ass than others), so don't hold back on the feedback.

Yeah, the royalties thing is pretty harsh. I did look into it... I'm about 85% sure that the trouble only comes in when the game in question is profit-based. As long as this whole project is completely non-profit, the material, from a legal point of view, can be considered in the same vein as, say, fan-art or fan-literature. Of course, we're not imitating anything, but if there is any question about the originality or format of any of the media, we should be well in the realm of legal protection. It's more a thing of integrity than law.

But as long as OGG can be worked into the coding, I don't see why not go for that.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:59 pm

You know Matt, when I first listened to that demo of what was to become Hopeless Desert at FFOnline, it didn't sound anything like Sandy Bandlands, and no one else that posted in your thread there thought so either. It was only when the track was completed that it sounded familiar. Just something to keep in mind if you/we feel the song needs to be re-done to sound more original. :angel:
Balthazar
Former Staff

Post by Balthazar » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:55 am

I dunno, I put a lot of time into VII, and listening to Hopeless didn't jerk any memories of anything else at all. Maybe if I listened to it again I might see/hear it? :huh:
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Rain
Musician

...etc.

Post by Rain » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:30 am

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!