the endless desert

Discuss and share compositions for the game here

Moderator: Staff

Loodwig
Musician

the endless desert

Postby Loodwig » Sat May 07, 2005 11:22 am

I just finished the bones of this song, and I was thinking of "what would be most appropriate".

So I re-read the prologue, and thought of a few things.

Rain Advised Schostakovitch Symphonies (forgive my spelling, I'm very tired ;) ) which are really cool.  Of course, I'm not going to just quote their works, but it did give me a place to start with.

I thought of a dirge, and the instruments that came to mind were somber strings, some higher double stops on the violins, and choir and piano (maybe not the piano).

Also, add to that a gong, taiko drums where appropriate, Bells (like big church bells), and we have the envisioned "endless desert"

So far it's 2:15 in length, 72bpm with the fasted division being the 16th notes, and develops harmonic changes way to fast (I could afford to double the length of the work).

Oh, and it ends on a half cadence, which means it could a: loop, or b: end with a diminuative version of the first few bars.

But I'm wondering if this meets the vision that you guys had in mind?

What do you think?

(how do I post an MP3 that you can all hear?)
BigPapaN0z
Artist

Postby BigPapaN0z » Sat May 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Well, I'm barely able to follow (I know quite a bit about music as far as terms, just not able to write it) but I'll tell you right now, your best bet is just to post and let everyone hear what you have.  Not everyone has a musical background, and as (I believe) Balz said, "Now I know how non-programmers feel when we talk."  :D

As far as sharing, check out this thread.
[img:256:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/bigpapan0z/bpn_allacrost_sig.png[/img]
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Sat May 07, 2005 7:25 pm

I'm glad that you're using the prologue. :)
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sat May 07, 2005 8:39 pm

gotcha.  So there are now mp3's in my directory.

endless.mp3 is the one in question.  I added a couple other from another project I'm doing, so if you want me to phrase something like what I've already done... well, I can do that.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat May 07, 2005 9:17 pm

Woah, I really like endless! Did you have any type of objective in mind for this song while you were working on it? (ie, did you have a specific part of the prologue in mind where the song would fit?). I really really love the transitions in this piece. It makes me feel the following emotions, in this order:

Mystery/Suspiciion
    Sorrow/Grief
    Danger/Fear
    Sorry/Grief again

Which makes it hard for me to think of a suitable place where it could fit (at least in the prologue). Regardless, I really really like it. It sounds so professional, like something you'd hear in a movie. :D It defintely fits in with the style of music we've done so far. I'm interested to see where this piece will be heading. :approve:

Oh yeah, and here's your obligatory "zOMG THIS IS AWESOME!!!1111ONE" bows.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sat May 07, 2005 10:34 pm

Well there are 4 sections to this work, each working for a different thematic choice

the motif you hear in the very begining (that three note thing) I try and bring back frequently, and I did it in high strings to sort of give this pain imagery.

I was thinking of dawn on a dune sea, camels or horses slowly moving through a real wasteland, but calm at first (like the calm of oblivion really).

This is developed in sort of a sub-A section, with a timber shift.  I can put as many sub-A's as you want, which can elongate the theme with minimal effort, yet prevent it from sounding too repetative.

But the choir's entrance was more of a change in mood, and can be put off as long as need be.

I figured a ushered in turbulence is called for with the key change, and especially with the entrance of that piano figure, kinda like a "oh crap, we got company" sort of attitude, with a since of finality at the big base note (mens chorus transitioning away from this).

Finally, I looked to end it with a MUCH sadder (sorrow was my real aim here) imagery, with the repeated strings doing a variation off the original melody.  I might bring in some brass or soemthign here, as well as a snare or cymbals (a real janisary ensemble).  And of course the fat half cadence at the end really serves to be a bridging point to loop back to the begining, or end the piece with some sort of recap... or just die at the cadence, leaving this sort of yearning and lack of resolution (which could lead well to the next sceen).

The basic tone poem of the ensemble would be.

A  - "ah, we're in the hot desert, and it's not even morning."
A' - "yeah really, it's hot... and getting hotter, dryier, ugh."
B  - "look, some image of raiders or conflict that may be foreshadowing, or an actual present conflict."
C - "oh, that's done.  Wow, it's really bleak."

(yay, strophic)

And of course, I can tone down the "drama" of each section, make it grow, shrink, etc.

So first off, will this fit its intended purpose (I can always mothball it for now, and do something else)?

Second, could it fit, with different instruments, timbres, etc  (I can slow it down, make it a wind quartet, electronic, you name it)?

Third, are all sections useful (should I cut out the piano section, etc)

And Finally, what form should it fit to (coordinate various times where actions happen, total length of the work, etc)?
BigPapaN0z
Artist

Postby BigPapaN0z » Sat May 07, 2005 11:58 pm

Well, listening to them now.  I just loaded them all up, and I must say I absolutely LOVE mel.mp3.  I can actually see using that for inside the cave until the party meets up with the scorp.  The harp (I'm guessing) gives a bit of mystery, then when the deep strings come in, it gives an aminous feel of danger to it.  Just first impressions.  :D

Ok, just finished with endless.  I know this is basically a rough sketch of things to come, but it feels a bit empty to me.  Maybe this is good, maybe it's bad.  I'm not sure.  We'll just have to see where things go.  :eyebrow:
[img:256:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/bigpapan0z/bpn_allacrost_sig.png[/img]
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sun May 08, 2005 12:52 am

Mel is actually the character theme of Mellissant, the heroine of my own game I'm working on.  But I could easily derive a theme from it.

Endless is deliberatly empty, to allow it to form better to the idea at large.

But the question is, are the materials present enough to produce something better?

I'm re-working it now... should have something by monday at the latest (baring any personal issues).
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Mon May 09, 2005 8:58 am

Loodwig I will let you know again, I really think this work on Endless Desert could flesh out into something great.  It is very somber and quieting, and progresses, very decidely and with good effect, from point to point whilst giving a definite sense of depth.  It reminds me very much of sobering times and the serious nature of existence.  I would definitely say keep working with this one because it has all the necessary components to be a very good introductory phrase.

Keep it comin!!!   :approve:

Return to “Music”