GDC 2008

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

ChopperDave
Developer

GDC 2008

Post by ChopperDave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 pm

http://www.gdconf.com/

I'm thinking of going, but probably only for Wed - Fri. Anyone else going?
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:46 pm

*looks at pass prices*

No. :angel:
ChopperDave
Developer

Post by ChopperDave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:06 pm

That's what you get for not having a job until the last minute you hobo. :heh:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Hey I can afford to go easily. Its just that I don't want to spend that much money on a plane ticket + hotel + rental car + 5-day pass + use 3 of my vacation days for this. Besides, I'm happy in my own little gaming world and don't find much interest in hearing about people's post-mortem MMO experiences. Although I am interested in hearing Kurzweil's lecture (I have one of his books).
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

What Roots said.

Plus, I don't have a lot I could learn; learning being in large part preparedness to understand things you see, and also capacity to experiment with things you're trying to learn - I've already got my hands full there. Also, I'm not really at a point where I need to network; knowing more developers isn't useful for me right now, unless they're helping me complete my projects.

And besides, I don't think I want to work in the classic, large-scale commercial videogame industry unless I'm working on some sort of tool program that everyone could use (like an OSS 3d rendering program), or I'm the creative director for a title. It wouldn't be fulfilling for me - unless I'm creatively authoring something myself, I'd rather make more utilitarian software. So, networking with people in order to secure a future job would be ... silly.